Author Topic: Motion sensors and temperature  (Read 1527 times)

bkenobi

Motion sensors and temperature
« on: December 05, 2013, 02:55:38 PM »
I have a few MS16A sensors outside.  These are ok at normal temperatures with low humidity but it seems like any time it rains too hard or the temperature drops to around freezing, the sensors don't work. 

When it's raining out, the humidity is high and even though the sensor blinks at me it doesn't seem to trip the lights on.  I believe this is due to radio performance which seems to diminish with higher humidity and causes my marginally acceptable range to drop into unacceptable.  This is something I've learned to live with.

In the winter, it can get down to around 20-32F for a few days at a time.  I know there are worse conditions in other areas (Seattle isn't known for cold weather).  When the temperature drops down to this range, the light does not blink and obviously does not turn the lights on.  It sometimes works, but not often.  I'm not sure if this is due to the batteries (standard alkaline) or if it's the module itself.  Does anyone have any insight into this?  Low temps are relatively rare around here, but I can say that it is most definitely dry air at the time so humidity is not at play.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
Re: Motion sensors and temperature
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 03:29:19 PM »
 Lithium batteries will definitely out perform standard alkaline ones in the cold.
Also you may wish to look at placement of your interface.
As temperature decreases so will the range at which your sensors will transmit. ;)
As well look at what else may be effecting RF signals these may not be a issue when the sensor is at full power, however as power is reduced these will begin to effect performance even more.
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)

bkenobi

Re: Motion sensors and temperature
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:35:32 PM »
It was a bit warmer this evening (just barely) and the motion sensors worked.  I must really be on the edge of the range.  I'll check out lithium batteries and cross my fingers.