Author Topic: TED (The Energy Monitor)  (Read 1333 times)

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
TED (The Energy Monitor)
« on: May 09, 2014, 10:17:24 AM »
I bought one of the original TED 1001 versions when they were being dumped last year for just $15.  Yesterday I finally got around to installing it, using our XPF isolated "electronic circuit" for its communication.  While the indicator worked fine when plugged into the same isolated outlet as the sender, it would not register readings when moved into my office and plugged into the same circuit.  Like with X10, the UPS and computer loads on that circuit must be too much for the TED signal to get through.

While our X10 operation seemed to be behaving properly after the installation, last night the landscape lights missed their scheduled "ON" transmission even though the Leviton 16400 indicated it had been sent.  Later in the evening I noticed the hall lights had not dimmed down to their nighttime setting.  And today while testing a new production XTBM-Pro, it was indicating a continuous stream of Bad Start Codes.

Even though that circuit is isolated with the XPF filter, there must be enough TED signal leaking through to interfere with some X10 devices on the same phase.  While the XTB-ANR squelches most of the TED signal, those signal bursts that have the same profile as actual X10 transmissions still come through. What worked was to isolate both the transmitter and receiver with a second X10 filter (XPPF) plugged into the isolated electronics circuit.

Thinking about it, it doesn't surprise me that a single XPF didn't attenuate the TED signal sufficiently.  TED uses a frequency where X10 modules are most sensitive.  So even though the XPF knocks down the signal level by at least a factor of 10, enough is left to cause problems for some X10 modules.

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

Brian H

Re: TED (The Energy Monitor)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 03:33:35 AM »
I also bought a few of them.
I have not seen much data on the TED1001.
I have seen the TED5000 troubleshooting guide. Indicate it uses 132KHz timed to Zero Crossing. I believe the older TED1001 also uses the same power line frequency. It is literally sitting close to the Insteon 131.65KHz.  ::)

There are some mods on line to get the data out of the display unit for use with things like Raspberry Pi boards.

skywalker

Re: TED (The Energy Monitor)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 06:34:07 AM »
I looked at this several years ago when TED first surfaced.  The X10 community testing indicated that interference and contortions/filter isolators were required to stabilize due to the close proximity of its signals with X10's. 

Every since I started using Jeff's XTB-IIR my X10 is nearly very very reliable.

Has anyone looked at the TED Pro since was released 1-2 years ago... and the most interesting SPYDER for individual circuits?  From their site, it appears the company continues to develop the product for both Residential and Commercial and they have an iPhone app now.   I also read that the "Pro" versions can use PLC or Ethernet between the MTU and other devices.  So if you can shutdown the PLC or install the blocking filters on an isolated circuit, would that be viable?

It would be super if the guys could get togeher with a simple load controller setup for say less than 8 circuits in a residential setup.

http://www.theenergydetective.com/prohome

Thoughts?

Thanks,
GC Mobley
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 06:54:12 AM by skywalker »