Author Topic: PC-Based X10 Controller?  (Read 1953 times)

PeteCress

PC-Based X10 Controller?
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:42:57 AM »
I have some X10 modules in an inaccessible attic that control outside floodlights.

95% of the time, no problem.  But every so often we go though periods where the lights keep getting turned on.

Solution so far has been an ancient RadioShack clock/controller and hitting it's "All Off" button, but this thing is on it's last legs - having fallen to the floor one too many times.

Some years ago, I bought an Insteon 2414 USB-attached controller, but it just didn't work.  A hundred bucks or so down the drain.   Tried mating it up with mControl instead of the Insteon-supplied software, but still no-go.

So, the question:  Is there a combination of hardware/software that I could get to control these modules?   My plan would be to create a macro or something that, when these periods come around where the lights keep coming on, can be run in a loop to just keep issuing "Off" commands every so many seconds.

Brian H

Re: PC-Based X10 Controller?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:49:01 AM »
The new owner of the X10 product line has again started shipping the CM15A with AHP.
Though I suspect there maybe things like a small micro controller that may fit the bill.

Did you ever try the freeware program InHomefre with your 2414U?

PeteCress

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 01:02:37 PM »
...Did you ever try the freeware program InHomefre with your 2414U?
Never even heard of InHomefre.... but now I'll have to try it.

Also, now that I'm thinking about it, it's been a looooong time since I tried it with mControl and maybe somebody has gotten the driver situation straightened out... So I need to revisit mControl too.

Brian H

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 01:18:24 PM »
InHomefre was for Insteon but had many X10 features also.
I just looked at mine and a House Code with an All Units Off was not an option.
Also it seems that the authors web site is gone and the project was abandoned.