Author Topic: Open Source Automation  (Read 1671 times)

bkenobi

Open Source Automation
« on: November 15, 2013, 11:25:23 AM »
Anyone have any experience with this program?

http://www.opensourceautomation.com/

It looks like they have plugins for a very wide range of hardware including X10 (CM15A, CM11A, CM17A), ZWave, Insteon, W800 series antennas, not to mention other stuff (home security, 1-wire, stereos, XBMC, weather, etc).  I had been debating Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Black, or some kind of XPe system, but that was when I was looking at Linux based software.  This one appears to be Windows based, so that would potentially eliminate using either Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone Black.

The big advantage of this one appears to be that it can do home security stuff as well.  My house is prewired with all doors and window sensors run to a central location.  I have been toying with an embedded system rather than a prebuilt just because those are typically linked to a monitor.  I'm in the boonies, so that's useless to me (unless I set it up for self monitoring via my phone).

hawk1

Re: Open Source Automation
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »
I have tried this a while back.  To me it was very cumbersome.  Very difficult to get the hang of it.  But to other users it might be a piece of cake.   :)
"I don't know what I'm doing but, I'm having fun doing it!"
Windows Xp Home
Ihouse, BVC, PCC, Blue Iris
Cm15A Transceiver
V572 Receiver
XTB Amplifier
XTB-IIR Coupler, Amplifier, Repeater

noam

• Active Newbie
Re: Open Source Automation
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 06:30:47 AM »
I'd be curious to see if you get this working with either a Raspberry Pi or a BeagleBone Black. I had wanted to build something that might replace my CM15A/computer with a self-contained system (web-enabled, etc), connecting through my XTB-IIR's TW-523 emulation port. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or skills to figure this one out on my own right now.