Author Topic: X10 wire-in XPFM module...how loud?  (Read 2214 times)

Old Tele man

X10 wire-in XPFM module...how loud?
« on: November 06, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »
I've read that the X10 wire-in XPFM module is relay-switched, rather than SCR-switched, but I've never actually heard one.

So, to anyone who has one: just how loud is the relay activation "thump-snap-clack"? Is it as loud as the X10-014611 Appliance Module, or more or less?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:40:22 PM by Old Tele man »
...and the Devil said "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Brian H

Re: X10 wire-in XPFM module...how loud?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 03:15:12 AM »
I never took one apart.
I believe it is the same ratchet switch as in the Appliance Module.
Just tested one and it sounds the same to me as an Appliance Module.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:41:48 AM by Brian H »

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 06:57:28 AM »
Yes, the in-line module is pretty loud.  It makes a loud KALACK when it switches.  The Leviton relay wall switches we installed here (long discontinued 16293) make far less noise - just a faint click when they switch.

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

bkenobi

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:58:19 PM »
Old thread, but in case you are wondering...

I had an XPFM in my attic controlling a spot light.  If I listened carefully, I could hear it click on/off.  Something went bad in the unit within a couple weeks, so I had the seller replace it.  When they did, I swapped it out for the dimmer module.  I prefer the non-dimming modules since I don't want to dim my halogens, but my wife did notice the click initially and wasn't pleased.

On the other hand, the sound is very similar to the XPS3.  I have one of those in the attic above our bedroom closet and one above the guest bedroom to control attic fans.  Those were not high WAF upon installation.  Now that they've been there for close to a year, there have not been any complaints even when asked.

I'd say that the click is noticeable when close by, but you will get used to it.  In my case, the WAF did return very shortly after explaining why it was doing it and how much it would cost to avoid it (Insteon switches were 2-3x more expensive for each switch).