Author Topic: What's up with x10.com?  (Read 27022 times)

Wally

Re: What's up with x10.com?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 07:18:04 AM »
X10 has been in my home and church for over 35 years and I have spent thousands of dollars on equipment and software .  My opinion is that they spent too much time on marketing and not enough time on development.  Smart phones have taken over so many industries and provided free apps to boot. 

Meanwhile, equipment that I used to be able to control remotely are now lost in space with no server to support them; "troubling times in the kingdom".

A message I sent to the "contact us" link on the new web page, went un-answered so apparently "they" don't care about us relics; we used to be considered "faithful customers".  The last time I needed a replacement Tilt-and-pan base, I had to pay twice the price ($80) on ebay for a unit that was $40 from X10.

Lesson learned; be faithful to yourself.  I should have bailed on X10 years ago when I could have upgraded on my own schedule, now I'm under the gun.

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 10:26:32 AM »
The last time I needed a replacement Tilt-and-pan base, I had to pay twice the price ($80) on ebay for a unit that was $40 from X10.

That is the real problem with X10.  When X10 devices first came out in the 70's, the Command Console (boxy version of today's Maxi Controller) was $40.  Adjusting for inflation, that would be around $200 in today's dollars.  But now people expect to get electronic equipment for almost nothing.  That impacts quality and customer support.  And it drives some companies out of business.

How much profit was in there when appliance modules were selling 8 for $40?  Include the cost of production, shipping from China, order processing, and possible customer support when they don't work perfectly in today's hostile electrical environment.  How can a company stay in business operating on that kind of margin?

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
The new owners were under the gun to get all the info and hardware from the old X10.
They were given 2 days or lose it, they opted to use the two days in hopes they wouldn't lose anything.
A webpage was setup quickly with no one to answer support, customer service or any questions or emails.
In the rush hardware was left which was required for the servers.
I was warned (by a ex employee of X10) prior to the new company setting up that it would be months before they got anything working. They actually seem to be getting things back up quicker then I suspected.
The servers were given priority I'm told. ::)
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)

succession-resounding