Author Topic: What's up with x10.com?  (Read 23284 times)

haworld

• HA World
Re: What's up with x10.com?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 08:02:09 AM »
X-10 is still around, we just signed up as a dealer yesterday.  Am working on pricing, shipping and availability today.  Thought that might make some folks feel better to know they are still in business.

bluebiker

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 05:32:14 AM »
With the demise of the old X10, I notice that the email capability of smart macros no longer works.  The x10 SMTP feature is down along with their server.  Anyone know how to set up local SMTP for the home automation software?

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 06:31:22 AM »
This is one thing that bothered me with the ActiveHome Pro.  Since my lab computer is not connected to the Internet, I was not able to install ActiveHome Pro on it for testing.  Back when I was investigating the problem handling dim commands in repeaters and the TW523, I had to do that on the "family" computer that was connected to the web.

Except for Windows and virus protection, I don't think any of the other software I've installed has to "phone home" to complete the installation.   Just about everything comes with a key that must be typed in to complete the installation.   Many programs do check for updates, and the registration is usually done over the web, but they will still run without it.

I didn't understand why X10 went to this server based system when they evolved from ActiveHome to ActiveHome Pro.  The software is useless without the hardware.  And they often bundled the software with the hardware.  It would seem that they already had control of the software through the hardware sales.

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

dave w

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 06:37:22 AM »
This is one thing that bothered me with the ActiveHome Pro.    It would seem that they already had control of the software through the hardware sales.
Well this isn't the only example of X10 actions that made users scratch their heads and say "what are they thinking". I think X10 made a lot of decisions that weren't fully thought through. $0.02
This after shave makes me look fat.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 06:56:22 AM »
With the demise of the old X10, I notice that the email capability of smart macros no longer works.  The x10 SMTP feature is down along with their server.  Anyone know how to set up local SMTP for the home automation software?
This same question was asked on my forum http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?topic=621.msg3411#msg3411
The email feature never was 100% reliable.(frequently it reverted to using the x10 server)
This was one reason I added the emailing option to Pc Companion. ;)
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)

Walt

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 12:41:14 PM »
This is one thing that bothered me with the ActiveHome Pro.  Since my lab computer is not connected to the Internet, I was not able to install ActiveHome Pro on it for testing.  Back when I was investigating the problem handling dim commands in repeaters and the TW523, I had to do that on the "family" computer that was connected to the web.

Testing on your own, or testing for X10?     Back when I was beta testing for X10, Mike C would send me a full install file for just those reasons.

Except for Windows and virus protection, I don't think any of the other software I've installed has to "phone home" to complete the installation.   Just about everything comes with a key that must be typed in to complete the installation.   Many programs do check for updates, and the registration is usually done over the web, but they will still run without it.

I didn't understand why X10 went to this server based system when they evolved from ActiveHome to ActiveHome Pro.  The software is useless without the hardware.  And they often bundled the software with the hardware.  It would seem that they already had control of the software through the hardware sales.

Though, technically, the difference is that X10 changed to selling AHP, and more importantly, selling the plug-ins for it.   While you needed the hardware too, with such, you presented an captured opportunity for them to sell you even more software.   

You know, the guy on the corner, late at night, selling copies of Active Phone.   8)

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 05:11:46 PM »
Back when I was investigating the problem handling dim commands in repeaters and the TW523, I had to do that on the "family" computer that was connected to the web.

Testing on your own, or testing for X10?     Back when I was beta testing for X10, Mike C would send me a full install file for just those reasons.

It was when I was developing the "smart dim" feature for the XTB-IIR.

Though, technically, the difference is that X10 changed to selling AHP, and more importantly, selling the plug-ins for it.   While you needed the hardware too, with such, you presented an captured opportunity for them to sell you even more software.

I understand that.  However, many times they bundled the software with the CM15A.  I got a bunch of software with my CM15A, including some that I would never have purchased.  I just looked it up, and the $49.99 included the CM15A, ActiveHome Pro, Smart Macros, iWatchOut, myHouse Online, and On Alert.  That looks like they sold the hardware for $50, and included all the software for free.  Of course, all those links are dead now, so the CM15A is presently an expensive doorstop.  I never reinstalled ActiveHome Pro after the last clean XP refresh (SP3).

Jeff

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 06:09:17 PM »
  Of course, all those links are dead now, so the CM15A is presently an expensive doorstop.  I never reinstalled ActiveHome Pro after the last clean XP refresh (SP3).
You still can use the CM15A for more then a door stop.
with the SDK or programs created using it , it is a workable HA device. ;)
The loss of AHP isn't the end of the CM15a however it does loose the ability to use the on board memory capability.
Many using Homeseer, iHouse, PcCompanion and other software haven't used the onboard memory capability of the CM15A or AHP for years now.

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 08:47:52 PM »
The loss of AHP isn't the end of the CM15a however it does loose the ability to use the on board memory capability.
Many using Homeseer, iHouse, PcCompanion and other software haven't used the onboard memory capability of the CM15A or AHP for years now.

I am familiar with HomeSeer, Home Control Assistant, xTension (for the Mac), and several other PC-based automation programs.  I agree that they can use the CM15A as a powerline interface, but the real advantage of the CM15A was its ability to function autonomously.  I was a beta tester for the never released CM14A, and that was a good controller.  Most of us know the CM15A has a relatively poor RF transceiver.  And without the ability to download programs, the CM15A pales with respect to my own powerline interface.

Hopefully, some enterprising person will figure out how to download programs to the CM15A.

Here is another PC-based program I just ran across doing a search:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Active-Home-Vista_program_44203.html

I have never used it, but it appears to be freeware.

And here is a piece of info on the CM15A from another fellow who has developed a PC-based automation program:

http://www.homedomination.com/cm15a_disclaimer.html

It sound like understanding how to directly interface with the CM15A may be quite a task.

(His automation program is much less expensive than some of the other well-known programs out there. )

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 09:35:09 PM by Jeff »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 04:47:39 AM »

Actually the X10 forums was full of thirdparty software links
Also SDK section had lots of helpful info for users wishing to create their own software.

True without the AHP software one loses the ability for it to function on it's own disconnected from a PC.
I don't feel anyone should abandon it only for that reason.

kenrad

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 10:12:37 AM »

Actually the X10 forums was full of thirdparty software links
Also SDK section had lots of helpful info for users wishing to create their own software.

True without the AHP software one loses the ability for it to function on it's own disconnected from a PC.
I don't feel anyone should abandon it only for that reason.

I agree with Tuicemen.  It is far more powerful with a PC running as opposed to without.  True it was a great feature for energy savings but it was very limited without the PC.  I have not downloaded anything to the cm15a for a long time so for me it is still running the same  ;)

r_shell

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 12:19:36 PM »
A few weeks ago i returned under RMA an airsight pro PTZ camera.  Is this now a total loss or is someone honoring equipment warranty repair.  i have a tracking that show it was received by Hertzog.

dave w

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 02:05:10 PM »
Is this now a total loss or is someone honoring equipment warranty repair.  i have a tracking that show it was received by Hertzog.

http://x10pro-usa.com/about-us

Your camera may not be a loss, but I would not look for a refund soon. I think it is going to take a long time for the smoke to clear at what is left of X10 Wireless (x10.com) which (my understanding) is in court driven liquidation now.
This after shave makes me look fat.

r_shell

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 08:02:33 PM »
thanks for some encouragement

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 12:12:55 PM »
I had a length Skype chat with the new owner.
See my forum for the details ;)