Author Topic: HomeGenie  (Read 25936 times)

Brian H

Re: HomeGenie
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 03:22:51 AM »
Sounds like you are starting to make some progress.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop and sharing your findings.

hawk1

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 05:45:32 AM »
How did you get it to finally see your CM15?
"I don't know what I'm doing but, I'm having fun doing it!"
Windows Xp Home
Ihouse, BVC, PCC, Blue Iris
Cm15A Transceiver
V572 Receiver
XTB Amplifier
XTB-IIR Coupler, Amplifier, Repeater

bkenobi

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 06:10:31 AM »
I tried multiple installations, multiple computers, multiple windows versions, and multiple CM15A's.  Nothing worked for me.  I tried one attempt with the RasPi and it worked.  I actually have a thread at the HG forum that Genie offered advice, but it didn't work out.  The RasPi was the final goal for me anyway, so I'm not concerned about windows issues particularly.

bkenobi

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 04:53:49 PM »
I just got an email from Gene (the author of HomeGenie) indicating that he had fixed the Windows CM15A compatibility (v1.00 beta r317 and newer).  I installed it on my Win7 laptop and it does in fact send commands correctly now, so if anyone is interested in testing it, Windows is now an option.  Enjoy!

bkenobi

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 08:08:18 AM »
In case anyone is following this progress, I have a bit of an update:

I've been testing HG for a few months now.  It sits behind a FilterLinc so it doesn't actually control anything, but it gives me the opportunity to tinker with the scripting to verify I can get my most complicated feature working (motion controlled entry lights with a twist).  I am by no means a C# programmer, so it took some time to get the code working, but I was able to work out the final kinks a couple days ago.

Sweet!  Well, sorta.  The code works correctly but not quite as well as AHP in terms of speed.  The issue is centered around the use of an override switch (ToggleLinc) to force the lights on/off even if the motion sensor has been tripped.  My current setup (ToggleLinc->PLC->CM15A->AHP SDK->AHK script->AHP SDK->CM15A->PLC->WS13A) consistently takes just under 2 seconds to turn on/off the light when the switch is triggered. 

The new setup is the same except for the use of AHP and the AHK script.  Instead, I use a Raspberry Pi based HomeGenie to receive the command and a C# script to process the command and send out the response.  In the case of the new setup, it takes between 2-4 seconds.  If I had to guess, the difference is that AHP is event driven (processing the command as soon as it comes in) whereas HG is polling at some interval for state changes.  That's the only reason I can think of for a random response time.

The WAF for a <2s light was low but acceptable considering that the rest of the setup worked perfectly with AHP (after their servers returned).  The WAF for a 4 second light is exactly zero!  So, unless the author of HG can come up with a solution to improve the response I'll likely have to consider a different option.

I am currently looking at Domoticz as that option.  It has all of the features of HG plus a lot more.  The main reason I picked HG initially was that it worked with Windows so I could look at it before buying the Raspi and had a prebuilt SD card image.  Domoticz did not work when I tried it initially, but it has a SD card image now too that works out of the box.