Author Topic: FOARD X10 Controller  (Read 11332 times)

rkg22

• Active Newbie
Re: FOARD X10 Controller
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 11:56:55 PM »
thanks jeff...

i've played just a bit so far...  i'll be mounting this thing next to the xtb-iir, with a midget 1-port network serial port terminal server feeding it ( connected to my lan router )...  once i have successful connectivity i'll have at it, using one of the powerlincs inside as a monitor...  my current automation isn't really that advanced; just some lighting control, a few motion sensors, and some timers, but it was enough to slow the powerlinc controller down and lock it up enough to be a nuisance.  i'll keep folks posted on any successes or failures as i go...

thanks again..

rgds,
ron g

rkg22

• Active Newbie
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
hey jeff -

i've been looking at the documentation for this device and maybe i'm reaching here, but am i correct in assuming that this thing only talks ?

does it not listen ?

based on initial reading, there appears to be some implication that i need to add something else ( like more hardware in some sort of erector set bridging fashion ) in order to make this controller respond to outside events, such as remote controls and motion sensors.  if this is true, then i think i've just spent 150 bucks for a paper weight....

thoughts ???

rgds,
rg

Brian H

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »
I don't have the board but the manual indicates it can be set for a TW523/PSC05 two way power line interface. That do both X10 sending and receiving on the power lines.

You would need an X10 Transceiver like a TM751 or a better choice RR501 to take the X10 RF and place it on the power lines for the TW523 to process.

Jeff's devices with the TW523 port should also work.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:46:11 PM by Brian H »

rkg22

• Active Newbie
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »
hi brian -

no, i get that part...

i'm used to using the powerlinc usb standalone x-10 controller...  this device can be loaded with a program that not only performs x-10 output, but also responds to x-10 events that it receives from the powerline...  it has a receiver built-in...

my implementation includes various motion sensors and remotes that are picked up by an RF receiver which, in turn feeds its own power line interface that lays the resulting x-10 output back onto the AC line that the powerlinc ultimately picks up and acts upon.

the powerlinc controller's program has both timers and event monitors in it such that it will respond to the various inputs from the motion sensors, as well as act upon pre-programmed timed events...

i was hoping that the Foard controller would do similar things, but i think i may have expected too much from it.

rgds,

ron g

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 02:42:05 PM »
i've been looking at the documentation for this device and maybe i'm reaching here, but am i correct in assuming that this thing only talks ?

While I agree the documentation can be confusing, the Foard controller is bi-directional.  I haven't tried it yet, but it should include the ability to trigger macros from incoming X10 commands.

As Brian said, the Foard controller does need a powerline interface.  The normal one is the X10 TW523/PSC05, but that has been out of production for some time.  The XTB-523 can be used as an alternative.

The additional modules allow the Foard controller to monitor real-world parameters, such as temperature and humidity.  Other modules provide discrete I/O.

Just to confirm, I pulled up the Foard X10 mapper and sent some commands through my PalmPad.  They showed up on the Foard map as detected devices.

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:56:56 PM by Jeff »
X10 automation since the BSR days...

rkg22

• Active Newbie
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »
hi jeff -

ok, so the XTB-IIR WILL interface commands TO the powerline, but it will NOT interpret ( or de-modulate ) X10 commands found on the powerline and present them back to the FOARD box ( nor does the Foard box ) , as does my powerlinc USB self contained ' combo ' machine,
correct ?

or am i reading too much into this and will the XTB-IIR perform bi-directionally and input x-10 events to the foard box ?

sorry to seem so lame on this bit

rgds,
ron g

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 05:02:39 PM »
ok, so the XTB-IIR WILL interface commands TO the powerline, but it will NOT interpret ( or de-modulate ) X10 commands found on the powerline and present them back to the FOARD box ( nor does the Foard box ) , as does my powerlinc USB self contained ' combo ' machine, correct ?

I don't know how you come to that conclusion.  The XTB-IIR digital port emulates the X10 TW523/PSC05.  Actually, it does quite a bit better than the X10 product because it will transmit AND receive both extended commands and every bright/dim command in a sequence.  The XTB-523 is just that function packaged in a convenient plug-in unit intended as a substitute for the discontinued X10 product.

Jeff

rkg22

• Active Newbie
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 10:50:50 PM »
hi jeff -

i'm sorry.  i guess i am just reading too much into it all...  i got confused initially by the foard docs indicating that some bridged device was needed to deal with events or something...  still winding my way through that stuff...  since i have not dealt with the XTB-IIR X-10 socket at all during the time i've had the unit ( only have used it to beef up the powerlinc 1132CU unit that's plugged directly into the AC socket on the XTB unit, with major success and gratitude for your product, i might add ).  my goal is to utilize the foard box standalone ( plugged directly into the XTB's X-10 socket ) to replace the powerlinc unit.

for reference, i've discovered that the foard box does NOT like dealing with a network based USB server, nor does it like dealing with a network based serial terminal server.  communication appears to be intermittent at best, so far, and when communication hangs, so does everything, requiring a forced shutdown of the application software and USB ( or serial ) network server link, followed by a re-establish in order to get it going again.  to be fair, though, neither does the powerlinc device, whose software hangs at the drop of a hat when pressed to establish communications via the LAN based USB server, and in some cases, will even hang during a direct USB connection to a PC.

i also have noted that installation of the software will not complete unless the installation is performed directly from the CD, as opposed to installation from a folder on a hard drive, which is a bit of a nuisance.  also, during installation, the process requires installation of Adobe's PDF reader software exclusively, or the PDF help files will not install, which is also kind of a nuisance, since there are quite a few other, less bug ridden PDF readers in use nowadays.  the answer for this nuisance is just to allow the installation and then remove the adobe software afterward.

note that i've done software and hardware for many years, but not x-10 stuff, so i'm certainly kind of a neophyte when it comes to this stuff, and i apologize for what i'm sure may seem like ignorance abound.

i'll plod on, though.  i think once i get the hang of what the foard folks are trying to convey, here, things might work out ok, even if i have to string a 100ft serial cable to communicate with the thing.  anything will be better than having a controller lock up on me  :D

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 06:58:39 AM »
my goal is to utilize the foard box standalone ( plugged directly into the XTB's X-10 socket ) to replace the powerlinc unit.

That is why I had recommended the Foard controller.  The CM15A was out of production, and we needed an alternate stand alone controller.

The only comment I have on your USB issue is that I have only used the Foard controller with a direct connection to my PC.  That has never failed to communicate properly.  (I'm running on a decade old XP computer.)

I did the installation from the CD.  The only quirk I ran into was a missing "default.loc" file.  I created a null file with that name, and was able to proceed.  Since I already had Adobe on the computer to access pdf files, everything else went smoothly.

Jeff

rkg22

• Active Newbie
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 10:50:39 AM »
hi jeff -

right...  so far, things have started and run ok as long as i run the thing with a direct connection to the PC.  i'm running windows 7 ultimate, for reference, and also had the missing file issue, but the installation went ok with the missing file.  seems that the missing file gets created upon initial run-through.  on the 2nd run, the missing file notification doesn't show up for me.

i'll keep rolling along, here...

thanks for all your input on this.

rgds,
ron g