Author Topic: FOARD X10 Controller  (Read 10357 times)

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
FOARD X10 Controller
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »
Because the CM15A is currently out of stock at X10pro-usa, I started searching for alternative X10 controllers.  One that looks very interesting is the Foard X10 controller.  It is available in an X10-only version, and also a "bridge" version that supports both X10 and UPB protocols.  The X10 version uses the TW523/PSC05 or XTB-523 for a powerline interface.

I will be evaluating the X10-only version in the coming weeks.  For those who might be interested in this controller, the manual is available here:

http://jvde.us/info/foard_controller.pdf

The file is 8MB, so it can take some time to download.

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

Brian H

Re: FOARD X10 Controller
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »
I downloaded the manual and will give it a look.

dave w

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »
Thanks!!
This after shave makes me look fat.

BaBaLou

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 07:53:35 PM »
Hi all,

Good to be on board.  8)

You caught my attention with this.
    I'am very interested in your review of the FSD system.
At a crossroad :-\ with automation.

BaBaLou.

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:58:16 AM »
I wanted to give a quick update on the Foard controller.  It arrived yesterday.  The hardware looks impressive with some big surface-mount chips mounted on a high-quality PCB.  Understanding the software will take some time though.  I did have an installation problem where it hung looking for a file default.loc.  I created one with Notepad that was comprised of just a “carriage return”, and that seemed to work.  It allowed me to pull up a list of cities to enter my actual location.

I may be wrong, but it doesn’t look like the Foard includes a real-time user interface that allows one to enter commands directly through the computer.  It looks like you set up timers and macros that are downloaded to the controller, which then runs autonomously.  The manual is huge, and I obviously have to spend some time going through it.

Bottom line is that it appears to have a lot of capability for an affordable controller that does not need to be tethered to a computer.

Jeff

Brian H

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 11:29:53 AM »
Thanks for the update.

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »
Another quick update:

The Foard real-time GUI controller is called the "FSD X10 Tester".  It can send all 256 house and unit codes as well as all 16 command codes.  And it works...

Linked above is the manual if anyone else is interested.

Jeff

hawk1

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 07:02:56 AM »
Not to be dumb here, but what are the 16 command codes?    :-\
"I don't know what I'm doing but, I'm having fun doing it!"
Windows Xp Home
Ihouse, BVC, PCC, Blue Iris
Cm15A Transceiver
V572 Receiver
XTB Amplifier
XTB-IIR Coupler, Amplifier, Repeater

dave w

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 07:14:29 AM »
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/kingery13.htm

Everything you ever wanted to know from Uncle Phil. Scroll down near bottom of article for command codes.
This after shave makes me look fat.

hawk1

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 07:52:49 AM »
Ahhh.  Thanks Dave W!  I feel really dumb now.    ;D
"I don't know what I'm doing but, I'm having fun doing it!"
Windows Xp Home
Ihouse, BVC, PCC, Blue Iris
Cm15A Transceiver
V572 Receiver
XTB Amplifier
XTB-IIR Coupler, Amplifier, Repeater

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 09:58:08 AM »

Everybody should have a copy of the X10 technical note:

http://jvde.us/info/X10_protocol.pdf

Jeff

BaBaLou

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »
Thanks for the update Jeff. and the Tech notes.

Watching this  8) topic closely.

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »
Here is another brief update on the Foard controller:

I spent a little time last night with the automation software.  There is an overall program called the FSD Automator that has menus to access all the utilities.  Modules or variables are first defined through a “Namer” utility, and then those entities can be further defined or used in other utilities.  It is significantly different than the integrated ActiveHome Pro environment, but it is just a matter of becoming familiar with how the tools work.

I did confirm that I could connect both the Foard controller and the Ocelot to the XTB-523 with a standard “telephone splitter” adapter.  So I can develop test programs that run on the Foard while still having the Ocelot take care of the overall automation.  At this point I have only run some simple test programs just to confirm it works.

For those of you who are contemplating eventually leaving X10, there is a version of the Foard controller that supports both X10 and UPB devices.  And there is one that can be tied to the Internet.  I just bought the basic X10 unit for evaluation.

Note that I am running this on a Windows XP system.

Jeff

rkg22

• Active Newbie
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
hi folks..

i've just received a foard x-10 controller.  i bought this thing because i've gotten frustrated over the powerlinc USB controller over the years because of lockups and having to repower the thing to get it to run.  i'm also running windows 7 and the smarthome software tends to lock up due to the lousy USB interface software.  of course, lack of support doesn't help.  anyhow, i've bought the foard x-10 controller unit gambling on the hope that it won't have such problems.

my initial look-see is that it's confusing compared to the GUI that i'm used too, but i'm a trooper and will persevere until i get the thing to spit out x-10 commands and make my x-10 devices come to life.

jeff, i have a question.  right now, i've got a powerlinc USB device plugged directly into an XTB-IIR unit mounted at my breaker box.  should the x-10 out from the Foard box interface directly into the x-10 interface of the XTB-IIR without an intervening interface ??

thanks in advance for your reply...

i'll post updates on any success/failure i encounter with the foard system...

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »
The X10 digital output from Foard controller normally interfaces to the powerline through the X10 TW523/PSC05, so it can be connected directly to the XTB-IIR (or XTB-523) digital port.

It took me a while to understand how the user interface works.  There is an overall "GUI" that calls up individual programs that are used to define X10 devices and set up the automation program.

Jeff

succession-resounding