Author Topic: RF Signal floods.  (Read 53 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
RF Signal floods.
« on: February 05, 2018, 06:00:10 AM »
This past weekend I was fighting this one. X10 Commands from my PC stopped working so opening AHP I noticed the RF flood of RF recieve "B pan Right".
Usualy my advice is to look for remotes that have may be fallen in between a seat cussion or a book placed on them.
But I haven't used a Ninja in over 6 years.
It took me the full weekend to finaly find the camera remote (haven't used it in 10 years). But yep the batteries were in it.
The remote was half way down my junk bin and slid to the side causing the pan right button to be pressed.
Why in the heck would I put it in the junk bin with the batteries still in it?
I'm surprised the batteries were still strong enough to last all weekend. Opening the remote I was only able to get the first two batteries out easy the others required some prying.
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
Re: RF Signal floods.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:16:49 AM »
The new WM100 has resulted in me not needing as many X10 remotes laying around.
I found a total of 6  x10 remotes laying around with batteries still in them that I no longer use.
 I suspect as time wears on I'll be able to retire a few more. Hopefully I'll remember to take the batteries out then!

Brian H

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 03:33:59 PM »
I have some of the key chain remotes and motion sensors. I almost for got to take out the lithium coin cells before storage.

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:18:10 AM »
I've received numerous reports from customers who tracked down continuous streams of X10 commands to misplaced wireless remotes being in locations where a button became pressed.  So it is a fairly common problem.

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 07:40:24 AM »
I have some of the key chain remotes and motion sensors. I almost for got to take out the lithium coin cells before storage.
Man, I completely forgot about those key chain remotes!
I believe most of them got tossed but if no those little suckers are going to be hard to find.
I guess I'll have to pull out my x10 parts bin again and check the junk drawers.

bkenobi

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 07:51:54 AM »
I've wondered about X10 RF inerference in the past and thought it would be really nice to have a small device that could be used to locate such interference.  Is there an afordable, ready made device that can tune different frequencies and either proximity and/or directionally locate the source? How about a DIY option (kinda like war driving for X10)?