Author Topic: Meaning of T00CY  (Read 96 times)

rae8836

Meaning of T00CY
« on: September 05, 2017, 12:02:27 AM »
When I turn on a particular lamp module my XTBM-Pro shows the command and then shows a top line of "T00CY  N.12" and a bottom line of "^NOISE^".  I know this is noise on the line at an undesirable but not necessarily disabling level, but I can't find a definition of the "T00CY" entry.  I'm thinking that this specific entry might help in trouble shooting.  I did look in the XTBM-Pro documentation but didn't find a description of that particular entry.  Could you provide some enlightenment?

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
Re: Meaning of T00CY
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 06:31:55 AM »
When I turn on a particular lamp module my XTBM-Pro shows the command and then shows a top line of "T00CY  N.12" and a bottom line of "^NOISE^".

"T" means Transient.  "00CY" means it was apparently a single transient spike that didn't set up ringing in the input stage for a number of cycles, which probably means it had relatively slow rise and fall times.  "N.12" means the amplitude of the transient was 120mV.  And "^NOISE^" means there was a sudden increase in the noise level when that lamp was turned on.

Since this is apparently a single transient with little or no high frequency content, it should not cause a problem for X10 operation.

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

rae8836

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:00:15 AM »
Hmmmm....  Well, that's a useful explanation. 

I think I've incorrectly associated the events on line one too closely.  If I'm understanding you correctly, the "T00CY" was a single event and the "N.12" is an ongoing noise level?  Or does that mean that the "T00CY" was at a noise level of "N.12" but nothing has occurred since then?  By observation only, it seems to me that I've seen the "N.xx" indicator change without anything changing in the "X__ F__" fields.  Is the "N.12" reading a continuously updated ongoing indication of noise level or is it only updated when an event occurs?

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 07:03:40 AM »
The noise level is measured each half cycle, and the display is updated continuously.  The T00CY remaining on the display means there is a transient probably each half-cycle when the dimmer triac turns on.  But like I said earlier, the fact that it doesn't induce ringing in the input stage means it should not be a problem for X10 operation.

The "Noise" mode should give you a little more information, showing where that transient is occurring.  It should move out of the X10 transmission window and the noise level should drop as the light is dimmed.

The X field is only updated when it decodes an X10 command, and the F field is only updated when it detects an X10 signal or continuous noise source whose frequency can be measured.

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

succession-resounding