Author Topic: Improvement to the XTB-ANR  (Read 733 times)

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
Improvement to the XTB-ANR
« on: July 01, 2016, 11:58:19 AM »
I am working on a firmware upgrade to the XTB-ANR to operate in a "stealth" mode.  Rather than always attenuating everything on the powerline, it monitors the background noise level, and only switches on its attenuation when the noise level rises to the point where it could begin to affect X10 operation.  An added feature pulses the LED briefly every two seconds to give a crude monitor of the background noise level.

The reason for the upgrade is that I had been working with someone dealing with some serious signal suckers.  He thought the problem was due to noise, and had added XTB-ANRs to his system.  XTBM readings showed absolutely zero noise and very weak signal levels.  The signal from one remote transmitter was too low for XTB-ANR to recognize to turn off the attenuation.  We eventually isolated the worst signal suckers, and signal levels came up an order of magnitude.  So did the noise levels, and now the XTB-ANRs are actually doing something.

A few beta units are available for evaluation.  Please contact me directly if you are interested.

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

rgfullerton

Re: Improvement to the XTB-ANR
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 01:09:44 PM »
Jeff,

What is status of the ANR units.  I'm having some serious signal sucker issues in a couple rooms.  I have two of the ANRs in my system

CURIOUS BOB 

Brian H

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 03:32:16 AM »
Signal suckers require an X10 type filter on the offending device.
The XTB-ANR is used for noise causing X10 problems not signal suckers.

I also have a few LCD TV's that are signal suckers. In my case a  XTB-IIR put enough signal voltage on the Power Lines so added
filters where not needed. As my XTBM indicated plenty of signal even with them signal sucking part of the signal voltage.

Since you are using XTB products. You may have already see Jeff's great troubleshooting tutorials. Here is the link if you have not seen them yet.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:14:52 AM by Brian H »

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 06:32:58 AM »
Actually, the new XTB-ANR firmware can help in a system with serious signal suckers.

Originally the XTB-ANR noise attenuation was always on, and only switched off when it detected a possible X10 signal burst (or optionally an Insteon burst too).  Since signal suckers will attenuate both X10 signals and powerline noise, the noise level may already be low in a system that has serious signal suckers.  In some cases the signal level may be too low for the XTB-ANR to recognize incoming X10 signal bursts.

The stealth mode in the new firmware operates differently in that the attenuation is normally off, and only is switched on when the XTB-ANR detects enough background noise to begin interfering with X10 communication.  So in a home that has a very low noise level due to serious signal suckers, the new firmware will not reduce X10 signal levels unless the noise level increases.

Jeff

Brian H

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 06:46:31 AM »
Thank you Jeff for the updated information.
I did not realize the XTB-ANR latest firmware may help with serious signal suckers.

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 06:49:34 AM »
I did not realize the XTB-ANR latest firmware may help with serious signal suckers.

Just installing the XTB-ANR would not help with signal suckers, but with the new firmware it should not degrade signal levels further.

The bottom line is that the XTB-ANR is intended to reduce noise levels.  When there are serious signal suckers in the installation, the noise level is likely to already be low because they will attenuate both signal and noise.

Jeff

succession-resounding