Author Topic: X10 Automation Software  (Read 29591 times)

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
X10 Automation Software
« on: August 12, 2013, 01:01:26 PM »
With the demise of X10, there have been a number of requests for alternative automation software.  Tuicemen discovered the Marmitek European version of ActiveHome Pro can be installed without an X10 license or access to the X10 server.  That can be obtained directly from Marmitek, and Tuicemen placed a copy on his website:

http://www.activehomepro.eu/

http://tuicemen.com/downloads/setup_ahp_marmitek_316.EXE

The following are PC-based automation programs that support the X10 Protocol (in alphabetical order):

HEYU (for Linux, Mac):  http://heyu.tanj.com/

Home Control Assistant:  http://www.hcatech.com/

Home Domination:  http://www.homedomination.com/

HomeSeer:  http://homeseer.com/index.html

MisterHouse:  http://misterhouse.sourceforge.net/

PC Companion:  http://www.angelfire.com/in2/ontkoi/X10AHP/PcCompanion.html

Powerhome:  http://www.myx10.com/default.aspx

XTension (for the Mac):  http://www.shed.com/about.html

I know there are others out there.  Please let me know if you have a favorite that is not listed here.

Jeff

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:23:28 PM by Jeff »
X10 automation since the BSR days...

Tony Olson

Re: X10 Automation Software
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:21:51 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

Are there any of these alternative automation software groups that allow timers, macros etc to be download to a device like the CM15A and run independent of the PC?

I never looked into it - I just thought that ability was out there.  I know that it's not important to some.  :)

Thanks.

Tony

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:43:57 PM »
Are there any of these alternative automation software groups that allow timers, macros etc to be download to a device like the CM15A and run independent of the PC?

I am not aware of any third-party program with that capability for the CM15A.  I understand the reason is that X10 never released the CM15A protocol like they did for the CM11A.  We can hope that some enterprising person will eventually be able to decipher it.  With X10's demise, it is also possible that information might come to light because the economic reason to keep it secret no longer exits.

There are other controllers out there that do accept downloads of timers and macros to function autonomously.  The Ocelot has been extremely reliable for our home automation.  I'm trying to get more information on one manufactured by Foard Systems that looks interesting.  Like the Ocelot, it has the ability to monitor real world parameters like temperature and humidity.

Jeff

Dave Mc

• Active Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »
If you have a Mac, there is a program called ThinkingHome that allows you to download timers and responders to the CM-15A.  However, macros need to be run from the computer.  Also, you need to write your own scripts for the macros.  The program works well.  I used it for around a year, but then switched back to AHP, as I could not figure out how to write script.

They have a demo that you can download to your CM-15A and give it a try.  I think it lets you control one module.

http://www.alwaysthinking.com/thinkingHome.html

Dave
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:53:51 PM by Dave Mc »

Tony Olson

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 08:24:27 AM »
Again thanks Jeff. If a person is using the CM11A they may want to look into Home Domination. Its been along time ago (so there probably have been a number of updates) but the macro flexibility etc is pretty good stuff. I'm not connected in a monetary way to these folks (or anyone else). I'm going check out the OCELOT HCS on the SMARTHOME page (just in case) :).

Dave Mc I don't have a MAC; but thanks for the info.

Tony

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 08:46:45 AM »
If a person is using the CM11A they may want to look into Home Domination. Its been along time ago (so there probably have been a number of updates) but the macro flexibility etc is pretty good stuff. I'm not connected in a monetary way to these folks (or anyone else).

Home Domination is one of the less expensive automation programs, and it will work through the XTB-232.

Jeff

OldX10Hack

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 02:46:44 AM »
Hello,

I'm soliciting advice from more experienced users regarding my existing ActiveHome Pro software in light of the current situation with X10, X10usa, or whoever:

I currently have (well, had) an extensive control system impemented with ActiveHome Pro (albeit, it's rather "klunky" given the inherent limitations of the ActiveHome Pro software).  This included control of HA devices as well as XCams and Ninja Pan and Tilt camera mounts.  Recently, I was using an X10 VA12A Digital Video Converter with the AHP platform to test some cameras, and all was good until something happened that resulted in the VA12A no longer being recognized.  (I'm not sure whether the device failed or the driver went south).  Anyway, in trying to resolve that, I intended to re-install the driver and AHP software, in hopes of clearing up any corruptions (which was a typical failure mode in the past).  So, I un-installed AHP.  Well, that was a major shot in the foot, because I was unaware at the time that X10's registration servers for AHP were no longer in operation!  So, now I'm unable to re-install my copy of AHP.  And, as far as I can tell, there's no way to re-install AHP without the server-based validation.

With that background info, my question is this:  What is my best option at this point to either get AHP back up and running properly -OR- to install (a) different software package(s) that will provide at least the same functionality (including the camera control and video viewing), and ideally, would be able to directly import or else convert my existing AHX files (to avoid having to re-program my existing control system from scratch)?

Thanks in advance for all helpful insights and advice!  :-)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 05:14:19 AM »
Have you tried a windows restore to see if you could get back your AHP.
There are a couple of threads on my forum regarding AHP reinstalls and fresh installs.
http://tuicemen.com/forum
Now with that said since you uninstalled AHP it may not have gotten rid of everything and there may be hope.

There are several third party software solutions that provide what AHP did in fact most add additional options that make them far more powerful.

The was only one third party software that would pull info from a ahx file that I had tested.
However it still required extra info to be added and I can't remember what it was :-[
A search of the third party software section of the X10forum may reveal it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:46:59 AM by Tuicemen »
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)

hawk1

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 06:51:54 AM »
Another one for you.  iHouse Home Automation (FREE) Excellent X10 Software in my opinion.
http://www.ihousehomeautomation.com/phpBB/index.php
"I don't know what I'm doing but, I'm having fun doing it!"
Windows Xp Home
Ihouse, BVC, PCC, Blue Iris
Cm15A Transceiver
V572 Receiver
XTB Amplifier
XTB-IIR Coupler, Amplifier, Repeater

OldX10Hack

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 08:44:19 AM »
Have you tried a windows restore to see if you could get back your AHP.

No, I didn't think of that.  And, unfortunately, I just did a massive Windows Update on that system (that involved creating several new restore points), so unless there is a way to selectively restore the AHP part, I'm thinking that going back now might be more work than switching to some alternative software package (that's still supported).   :-[

There are several third party software solutions that provide what AHP did in fact most add additional options that make them far more powerful.

Do any specific ones come to mind that would provide the "path of least resistance" to getting back the former functionality?  I'm especially concerned about the Activity Monitor function and the camera and pan-tilt base control operations.

A couple years ago, I also looked at the SDK, but gave up on that because it seemed to involve a tremendous amount of "re-inventing the wheel", because it seemed that everything had to be done from scratch, and then debugged.  Command timing seemed to be a big issue with that.  In any case, I threw up my hands at the SDK and struggled through with AHP instead.

At this point, I'd like to get back running without any major investment of time (which I can't spare these days).  :-\

Thanks!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »
You should be able to do a selective restore as long as you knew when you uninstalled and ran the restore from prior to that. However you'd then need to do all your windows updates again.

Most of the third party software has some sort of X10 logging capability.
ihouse which hawlk1 pointed to will do what you want.
However I have to plug my software here,  :-[ so will PC Companion. ;)

OldX10Hack

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 09:20:27 AM »
You should be able to do a selective restore as long as you knew when you uninstalled and ran the restore from prior to that. However you'd then need to do all your windows updates again.
Well, I know when the AHP uninstall occurred... but that darned Windows Update took about six hours overnight.  There were something like 116 updates, plus a couple more that turned up after doing the bulk of the thing.  (That's what happens with a Netbook that was dedicated to off-line "field" use. mainly with the AHP system.  As long as it was working as needed, I didn't have any incentive to update it.  But, after my recent AHP failure, I figured it might be time to do so.   :-[ )

Most of the third party software has some sort of X10 logging capability.
ihouse which hawlk1 pointed to will do what you want.
However I have to plug my software here,  :-[ so will PC Companion. ;)
;D  So, which is the better deal?   ::)  And quicker to install and get programmed? ;)

Seriously, will any of those work with that old VA12A USB Video input device (assuming the driver and the device itself still works, of course... :-\)?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »
Both iHouse and Pc Companion (PCC)will work with the VA12 in fact they will work with any video input device that windows recognizes.
iHouse may be the better deal as it is free. However the learning curve may be larger.
I can set up PCC fairly quickly however I know it better and use it more.

hawk1

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 04:43:25 AM »
Even though I don't use iHouse or PCC to control my  cameras I have in the past and I have a "older yet" VA11!  I use a combo of programs because one program has features the other one doesn't. 

I use PCC and iHouse for my automation needs.  And use Blue Iris for my cameras, but probably will switch to Ispy.  Both PCC and iHouse in my opinion are excellent programs with excellent support.  Just my 2 cents. 
"I don't know what I'm doing but, I'm having fun doing it!"
Windows Xp Home
Ihouse, BVC, PCC, Blue Iris
Cm15A Transceiver
V572 Receiver
XTB Amplifier
XTB-IIR Coupler, Amplifier, Repeater

BobL43

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 08:21:13 AM »
Hi Guys

My Active Home software was working fine with my CM15A fine until I "upgraded" my PC from Win 8 to win 8.1. The Active Home software would crash seconds after it started. I tried to install my 2009 download software file into my laptop with Win 7, but of course, it could not because of X10's servers.

After finding this Forum and reading some posts here, I downloaded the Marmitek software which installed fine into Win 8.1   I pointed it to my saved and backed up .ahx data file, which opened fine, but I had to change all the module types which now came up as DIN rail mounted modules to the actual plug in lamp and appliance modules in my installation. So far, great!  The timers that I had set up worked fine, at least those that had specific on and off times, but anything related to Dusk and Dawn, not so much. In hardware configuration, I saw the regions available were only Eastern Europe and as far west as England, if I remember correctly. I created a "Custom" location and inserted my lattitude and longitude at home, which it accepted, and now showed the correct local Dawn and dusk times here in NY instead of in Belarus.  :D
The timers based on dusk/dawn times now did not work at all instead of being 8 hours or so too early here in NY as they did when the Belarus default location was set.
Unfortunately, I am having to change all my timers from those that are dusk/dawn related to be actual times to go on and off. It was really nice to have lamps go on at "correct", automatically compensated times
 :o lol
At least I can communicate with my CM15A again and set up times again.
The only thing I am a pro at is crastinating; I am a procrastinator.