Author Topic: XTBM-Pro signal Analizer Review  (Read 2234 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
XTBM-Pro signal Analizer Review
« on: September 09, 2015, 05:05:28 PM »
I had always wanted one of these but felt my system was to reliable to fork out the $.
With Authinx (X10) asking me to test their new Wi-Fi to X10 module  I felt I owed the community a extensive test.
I originally approached Jeff about the rental program however he suggested the Pro and would supply it assembled for the kit price to help out.
This has helped discover things about the Wi-Fi unit I wouldn't have caught and will result in a better initial product run.

As I mentioned before I felt my setup was very stable and I thought I had all noise identified.
This unit supplies lots of info and makes it easy to compare signals and noise.
Locating noise is so easy with this. I have a coffee maker which puts out very high noise but only during a short period of the brew cycle it would have taken me forever to find that.
My back up generator I had always expected was a high noise maker but the coffee make is actually worse.

You always read about users recommending a XTBM product, So me stating I recommending it should come as no surprise.
The Back lite display makes it so easy to read.
The power cord is long enough not to make reading at any outlet I have difficult.
The two buttons make it easy to scroll threw options and change screens.
I now have both the pro and non pro version and I feel the Pro is worth the extra cost just for the memory alone the other extras are gravy.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:04:08 AM by Tuicemen »
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
Re: XTBM-Pro signal Analizer Review
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 01:15:39 PM »
This summer we had to get our place rewired.
Insurance didn't like that we were still running nob and tube.
Since I hadn't had issues before I didn't expect any with new wiring, Was I wrong!
I never had phase issues before but with the new wiring and new panel things that use to work now didn't.
I pull out the XTBM pro and my palm pad sent a command to a problem device and nothing registered.
Figuring it was the batteries I tried another remote and still the XTBM was reporting nothing ???

I had purchased a Phase coupler many years ago but never installed it as I didn't require it.
However I figured I'd try the oven trick still no go so I tried the dryer with the same results ???
The outlet worked before and things plugged in would turn on/off manually.
I tried several outlets that were on different breakers some would display X10 signal info on the meter and others wouldn't so I knew the meter was OK so I figured it had to be a phase issue but why wouldn't the dryer or stove trick work.
I plugged in a tm751 into a outlet which displayed no x10 info and all of a sudden all outlets that didn't work with X10 now would.
 Wired up the phase coupler and removed the tm751 and now everything is working.
I did find some noisy outlets which I'll have to investigate further but I never though this would help me root out a Phase issue.

Brian H

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 03:13:40 AM »
Thanks for the information on how the XTBM Pro was a valuable troubleshooting tool. My older XTBM is a great troubleshooting tool.

Good chance with the new wiring and panel. Some circuits where now on the other incoming line. Making problems.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 01:45:46 PM »
Some outlets did get moved to opposite phases however I had modules on both phases before without issue.
I did have some range issues prior which I no longer appear to have. I guess  shorter wire runs now. ???
Once I have a little more time to play I'll check things out I know I have what appears to be a noisy light as the one outlet I discovered showing noise is the only outlet on a circuit for lights.
I believe this runs to the kitchen which has fluorescents there is another room with fluorescents too but it is on another floor so it may or may not be on the same run. ??? ::)

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:16:29 AM »
Thanks for the information on how the XTBM Pro was a valuable troubleshooting tool. My older XTBM is a great troubleshooting tool.

For those of you who have the XTBM, we now offer an upgrade path to the XTBM-Pro.  Since we have a rental program for the XTBM, and almost everyone who rented one has decided to keep it, we are in need of more rental units.  So the XTBM can be exchanged for the XTBM-Pro for $69, including return shipping (U.S.).

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...