Author Topic: VA11A driver for windows 7  (Read 3753 times)

EL34

VA11A driver for windows 7
« on: May 23, 2015, 01:22:20 PM »
Not sure if this piece of gear is even worth installing

I am moving over to HD 1080P Network surveillance cameras and Blue Iris software, so trying to use my old antique low Res stuff is just for fun I guess

Does anyone have the proper driver for Windows 7 and the VA11A video capture device?

I tried to get W7 to use the Vista driver but it is rejected
Thanks

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
Re: VA11A driver for windows 7
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 04:37:35 PM »
I'm afraid I can't help you with that.  We focus mostly on X10 powerline control reliability.

There are people on the resurrected X10 forum who do use X10 camera equipment, and you may be able to find help there:

http://forums.x10.com/index.php

Jeff

X10 automation since the BSR days...

EL34

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 03:58:51 AM »
Thanks Jeff,
Last time I checked (a long time ago) that forum was dead and gone
Thanks for the heads up that it's back in action again

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 09:01:15 AM »
There is no va11a driver for Windows 7.
A va12a or va13a is required for Windows 7 and higher.
Since these are no longer available as well an alternate video capture device that will work with windows 7 and up is needed.
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)

EL34

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 10:43:30 AM »
Thanks,

I already went and installed a 1280P network security camera and Blue Iris security software

There's really no reason to mess around with that antiquated video gear any more

I have a drawer full of older camera's that have no use anymore now that I have seen what network IP cameras can do

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »
Yes, the newer IP cameras are the way to go, the options available far surpass the older cameras even without the use of a third party software like Blue Iris.
I too have move to IP cameras, though I still have a few older X10 cameras still in use.
I do like the new Airsights, however I also have a few other brands in use too.
I have posted screen shots of each on the X10 forum. ;)

bkenobi

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 08:00:59 AM »
Off topic, but can you make any general recommendations on different cameras?  I want to set up 5-10 cameras around the property but have been overwhelmed as to a starting point.  I am torn between various IP cameras with a PC of some kind to process/save video or a security camera setup.  I like the IP cameras option because it gives lots of flexibility, but I'm not necessarily convinced that I can accomplish all the things I want to do (motion detection, link to security system, notification, mobile viewing, etc).  I like the idea of a system since the box is small and typically Linux based (reliable, low power), but I'm not sure if a flexible enough model is available at a low enough price point for my "budget" (what the wife won't get too upset over).  Also, There's 1 or 2 locations that I want to monitor that may require wireless due to distance from the house so perhaps all wireless is best?   :-\

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 05:29:28 PM »
Most outdoor IP cameras can do what you wish.
I particularly like the PTZ cameras as they can usually view more.
I've tried 3 different brands Foscam. Easyn and the new X10 Airsights.
However the Foscams were indoor cameras.
There is free software iSpy which will do everything you wish though I don't currently use it.
I've posted comparisons for the Airsights and Easyn cameras on the X10 forum in the reviews section.
These posts also contain screen shots.

At my city residents I run Foscam and an Airsight, off grid I run airsight easyn and foscam. All cameras in both locations are running wireless.
I have x10 security motion sensors control my cameras in both locations using AHP and Pc companion.
I can view them all from anywhere with a internet connection.
My off grid setup uses a HP thinclient which I've upgraded to Windows 10 32 bit (there is a thread on my forum on detailing this) but I have viewed and controlled them from an android mini TV stick.

My favorite camera right now is the Airsight xx60a.
The XX52a is good to though it is not a PTZ camera
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:37:47 PM by Tuicemen »