Author Topic: LED Lighting...  (Read 816 times)

RichardS

LED Lighting...
« on: March 13, 2016, 03:55:24 PM »
Hi everyone, I thought it might be nice to kick off some dust on the forum, and find some like-minded people.

I'm looking for anyone who has tried various LED bulbs with some of the legacy X10 dimmers and gotten a decent outcome from that task.

In my case, I built most of my lighting around the Lightolier CC600VAPLC. Like most legacy dimmers it appears to be triac-based (although I have not found a spec that confirms this).

Most LED bulbs claim some level of compatibility with triac dimmers, but none of them seem to actually work decently without any flicker or buzzing.

They use the word "dimmable" in their packaging, but provide no technical detail, of course. My experience is that at best, they are marginally better than CFL bulbs.

So I was just wondering if anyone else had gone down this path and might offer me some tips before I start researching it for myself.

Thanks.

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
Re: LED Lighting...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 08:53:36 PM »
We bought a bunch of Feit BR30 and PAR30 LED bulbs at Costco almost two years ago to replace aging CFLs, and the XTBM saw no problems at all for X10 operation.  The prices are lower now, and it is possible Feit might have changed the design since then.  We also bough some Utilitech 40W and 60W bulbs at a Lowes special sale last year, and the XTBM found no problems with those either.

Note that we have not tried any of these bulbs on dimmable X10 switches.

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:56:54 PM by Jeff »
X10 automation since the BSR days...

Brian H

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 03:26:58 AM »
I have not done any recent tests with the X10 two wire dimmers. That steal power through the load.
Many of the brands  {most likely no longer made} had problems.
Some would go on and then you lost all X10 control, some always pulsed and some just plain didn't work at all.
I had some Cree models that did seem to be OK with X10 dimmers.
If you have not joined or looked in the X10 Forums. I know there are threads there on LED bulbs with X10 modules.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 06:14:19 AM »
The newer LEDs do perform better then older LED versions.
However you still need to watch for "Dimmable" on the packaging.
Also don't expect the same results as you'll get with incandescent bulbs.
Newer dimmable X10 modules will perform better with LEDs however I've not done any in depth experimentation and only use dimmable LEDs in two locations with X10 modules.
The link Brian posted will provide you with some info.
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)