Author Topic: Powerflash alternative needed  (Read 3214 times)

Stickman

• Active Newbie
Powerflash alternative needed
« on: May 03, 2015, 02:41:18 PM »
I am now on my 3rd Powerflash interface.  They seem to only last a few months now and they get warm on the top where the plug in is.  Is there any alternative way to send a X10 command via a dry contact?   I am using this with my alarm system.  I have seen where the XPT3 would also do this, just wasn't sure if they are any more reliable.

Brian H

Re: Powerflash alternative needed
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »
What output mode are you using on the Powerflash?
On a closure in Mode 3 it sends a simple On at closure and Off at opening.
The other two modes flash lights and can trigger X10 Powerhorns.

You have verified the input is set to the correct type.
The security console is strictly a dry closure and not outputting a voltage when tripped?
If the security console is sending a voltage and the Powerflash is set to dry closure. It is possible the consoles voltage is conflicting with the Powerflashes sensing voltage.

The XPT3 sends an On when one of the inputs is connected to the + Common. It does not send an Off when the connection is broken.
The XPT3 sends an Off when one of the inputs is connected to the - Common. It does not send an On when the connection is broken.

So you can send either an On or an Off with an XPT3 but not both.

The Insteon 2450 I/OLinc has a dry contact input and can have an X10 address programed into it. Though I don't know if X10 support has been dropped recently. Sales page does not show X10 support but the users manual does.

XPT3 manual attached.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:15:47 PM by Brian H »

Stickman

• Active Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 06:37:48 PM »
Thanks for your input...I use input B and mode 3.  The powerflash does what I need which is triggering a AHP macro that turns on my flood lights and starts my cameras recording when my alarm system makes a closes a NO connection.

My problem is that the last 2 have failed in themselves. I have taken them apart and the components are burnt smelling.

I think the XPT3 would do what I need, I just wasn't sure if it was basically the same circuitry as the powerflash.  I may have to look into a Insteon 2450.  Again, thanks for your help.

Brian H

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 03:35:34 AM »
The biggest differences.
XPT3 will only send an On with a input closure to common + and no Off when opened. The Powerflash sends an On with a closure and an Off when opened.
XPT3 will need an electrical enclosure and a line cord attached to power it. Maybe a terminal strip for easier connection to the security consoles output.
XPT3 has four inputs. First one is the House Code and Unit Codes set on the dials. The other three inputs are the same House Code and the next three Unit Codes.

I know X10 was updating designs on some of their modules due to original parts being obsolete. I have no information on the X10 PF284 or X10Pro PSC01 Powerflash modules being updated.
My old PF284 with an ELK930 Doorbell Detector. Has been in use for at least five years and it isn't even warm enough to feel.
If they where redesigned or maybe a part was substituted. The overheating could be a result.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:38:01 AM by Brian H »

Stickman

• Active Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 04:52:50 AM »
I must admit, my first PowerFlash module lasted for years as well....just the last 2 have failed fast.

Here shows the four diodes and where the pcb board is dark like it has gotten hot.

Here is the model:

I think I am going to try the XPT3 next as all I need is "1" on command.....the macro will handle the timing and turn lights back off.

Brian H

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 05:04:35 AM »
Thanks for the added information and photos.
I see what looks like the R4 position has no resistor in it.

I may see what one of mine looks like inside.
My older PF284 is a 02L39 and X10Pro PSC01 06E21. Have a different PCB than your 08C10.

If you only need a On command. It sounds like the XPT3 should do the job.
I have seen some vendors selling the XPT3 for $19.99. So it makes sense to try it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:58:45 AM by Brian H »

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 06:59:37 AM »
We have a few of the discontinued Leviton 6330 Burglar Alarm modules left, which was their version of the Powerflash.  Since these are about 5 years old, they should not exhibit the problem you are experiencing with the newer modules.

Leviton products were considerably more expensive than the X10 equivalents, but you may find them cheap on eBay.

FYI, we also have a few of the Leviton 6337 Universal Modules left too.

http://jvde.us/xtb/x10_ordering.htm

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

Stickman

• Active Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 09:24:15 AM »
Thanks Jeff,  I already ordered a XPT3 , but will keep this in mind.  Is Leviton just a rebranded X10 product ?  If that is the case I may look into the Insteon 2450.   

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 09:52:37 AM »
TIs Leviton just a rebranded X10 product?

Many of the Leviton products look identical to the X10 equivalents.  But the Leviton X10 brochure said their receivers included "Intellisense", which was their name for AGC.  Most X10 modules did not include AGC during that time, so I question whether the "guts" of the devices are identical.

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...