Author Topic: XTB-IIR+  (Read 1855 times)

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
XTB-IIR+
« on: September 09, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »

We are now offering the special order XTB-IIR+, which is a higher output version that is built on the XTB-III PCB.  It has the beefier XTB-III power supply, and delivers an even stronger signal.  Two versions are available.  One produces a higher output voltage for the long wire runs in a very large home.  The other can deliver even more current at the normal XTB-IIR output voltage for homes with a large number of "signal suckers".

NOTE: These are assembled to order, which may delay shipping up to a week. (Sorry, but a kit version is not available.)

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

skywalker

Re: XTB-IIR+
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 02:51:41 PM »
Jeff, where's the cutover for the "long runs" vs "normal" unit?  As you recall, I have some 80'+ home runs....and I had to install an XTB in one area to just devices there working properly.  I may consider an upgrade.  I currently have and XTB-IIR with the 1.20 firmware. Thanks, Gregory Mobley

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 06:38:08 AM »
We discussed this privately, but I'll answer it here too.  The long run XTB-IIR+ was originally built for someone with a farm that had outbuildings located hundreds of feet from his home.  The additional signal voltage gave some extra punch on those very long runs.  It has also been recommended in a number of other similar installations.  The high-output version delivers the same signal voltage at twice the power for installations that have a large number of signal-sucking loads.

The standard XTB-IIR pumps over 25Vpp of signal onto the powerline, and as much as 40Vpp under a lighter load.  That represents about 20 times the power of a typical X10 transmitter, and usually delivers plenty of signal over the long runs found in even very large homes unless there is a serious signal sucker near the end of that run.

It is possible that both versions of the XTB-IIR+ may be discontinued before the end of 2016.  The PCBs used for that unit are almost gone, and some of the components used for it have become either special order or very expensive.  For example, the ceramic capacitor used in the transmitter tank circuit has increased in price from $3 to over $9.  The high-current 3.9uH inductor is no longer a stock item at Mouser.

The XTB-IIR PCB was recently revised to accept alternate components (some of which are now being phased out too.)  I have also revised the XTB-IIR+ layout to accept alternate components.  While a small batch of PCBs from Advanced would have driven the cost up significantly, our supplier in China could make a small batch for under $20 each, including set-up and shipping.  So the "+" version may continue to be available at a slightly higher price if there is sufficient interest.

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:15:21 AM by Jeff »

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 01:58:46 PM »
The new XTB-III PCBs are here, and I assembled both XTB-IIR+ versions to compare the performance.

Below are the XTB-IIR voltage outputs with loads on both phases during continuous dim transmissions:

Standard XTB-IIR

Light loads - 42Vpp @ 26.1V supply
5 ohm loads - 25Vpp @ 19.4V supply
3 ohm loads - 19Vpp @ 18.8V supply

XTB-IIR+ heavy load version

Light loads - 47Vpp @ 26.5V supply
5 ohm loads - 30Vpp @ 22.5V supply
3 ohm loads - 22Vpp @ 22.0V supply

XTB-IIR+ long run version

Light loads - 55Vpp @ 32.1V supply
5 ohm loads - 37Vpp @ 26.0V supply
3 ohm loads - 25Vpp @ 25.5V supply

(The X10 transmitter Spec is 5Vpp into a 5 ohm load.)

These numbers will vary from unit to unit depending on component tolerances, but the important factor is how the readings hold up under increasing load.  You can see there is less sag in the heavy load version going from a 5 ohm to a 3 ohm load.  I did not test with even heavier loads, but I expect the heavy load version would continue to hold up better than the long run version as the load continues to increase.

You will note that even the standard unit delivers 25 times the power (V squared over R) compared with the standard X10 transmitter spec.  My "test" Maxi Controller delivers about 7.5Vpp into a light load, but not quite 5Vpp into a 5 ohm load.

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:49:31 AM by Jeff »