Author Topic: Black&Decker Freewire issues  (Read 3344 times)

Dr.Obscure

Black&Decker Freewire issues
« on: July 24, 2014, 12:29:01 PM »
Hi all..
Been using my B&D freewire set for about 7-8 years now..  over the last year or so the response by the remote lamp switches has become sporadic and now won't function at all.. (left in the 'on' position at this point)..

I have reviewed the trouble shooting guides, and as such have removed any CFLs in the lamps or other fixtures in the area..  no changes..  sigh..

i am suspicious of the main control unit, but can't prove it with my setup.. Would another brand of controller find my lamp controllers and function ?

I don't have one of the cute little sniffers or ANRs as yet..  but perhaps its coming sooner than later :)
 --thx
   -chane

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
Re: Black&Decker Freewire issues
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
For a quick check of the controller, move it onto the same circuit as one of your receivers and see if it will function there.  If so, your controller is probably OK.

From what I read, those B&D modules should respond to any ordinary X10 controller set to the same address.

"Do you already use X10 components for your home's automation? The Freewire system will blend in seamlessly. All Freewire plug-in modules (indoor and outdoor lamp receivers as well as the messenger hub's built-in lamp module) can be controlled by standard X10 controllers."

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

Brian H

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:24:50 PM »
The B&D Freewire Systems where made by X10 Wireless Technologies and the modules are 100% compatible. I do like the finger grip dials on the modules.

So an X10 or B&D Freewire module can be controlled by either systems controllers.

Only incompatibility is the Messenger Hub and the Remotes that work with it. The remotes are Learned by the Messenger Hub more like a Security Remote is registered to a console. They also use 418MHz RF frequency. X10's use 310MHz RF Frequency. So you can't mix them. B&D Remotes only work with the B&D Messenger Hubs and X10 remotes with X10 Transceivers.

The Messenger Hubs internal lamp control can be controlled by any X10 power line command as Jeff pointed out.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:18:08 PM by Brian H »

Dr.Obscure

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »
As luck would have it, i do have the Messenger Hub system.. sigh...
So, if I was to move to a more standard X10 system, what can you suggest?
I have two light strings that I need to operate remotely .. the lights plug into a 13' ceiling.. with no switch for the outlet...
I don't need the actual wireless remote that the Freewire unit had, a manual button on a control unit would be fine too..

--thx,
  -chane

Brian H

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 03:43:13 AM »
Did you try one of the problem modules in the same outlet as the Messenger Hub?  As a test?
There are a few X10 and X10Pro tabletop controllers. Here are a few links. I believe the Mini Controllers do one House Code and Unit Codes 1-8. The Maxi Controller can do one House Code and all 16 Unit Codes.
The more feature Mini Timers can be set to do some On Off schedules by day and time. Also with the local buttons.
http://www.x10.com/x10-home-automation/controllers/plug-in.html
http://www.x10.com/x10-pro/controllers/plug-in.html

There are also independent X10 dealers that carry the modules and controllers.

Dr.Obscure

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 11:06:08 AM »
Haven't pulled one down as yet.. but will this weekend.. 
(may as well, I'm back to using the breaker as the switch now.. :)

Then I'll give it a go... and get back to the forum with the results..
Thanks for the pointers to the X10 stuff..
 -chane

succession-resounding