Author Topic: WS 12A controlling LED lighting  (Read 1830 times)

Baronhomer

WS 12A controlling LED lighting
« on: May 17, 2014, 09:40:12 AM »
I am having issues with Decorator dimmer switch in that I installed dimmable LED lighting in my outdoor  light fixtures and the controller will turn on and dim lights but when turned off the bulbs are on very dimly lit. I understand that there is a small amount of current passing thru the WS12A that allows the fixture to receive the signal thru the power line. I have also installed the same Phillips dimmable bulb in some lamps using soft start lamp modules, and they work fine. Does anyone have any info to help resolve this issue, or know of any other wall dimmers compatable with X10 that are available ? Thanks for your help

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
Re: WS 12A controlling LED lighting
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:24:39 AM »
Because the WS12A does not use a neutral connection, the leakage current supplies power to its control circuitry as well as being the return path for X10 signals.  Lamp modules have a neutral connection, so they do not need to pass any current through the load.

The easy fix is to include one incandescent light in the string to provide a low resistance path for the leakage current.  The other option is to choose a dimmer switch that includes a neutral connection.  The Leviton switches we installed here included neutral connections, but they have been discontinued by Leviton.  If you only need one, I do have a couple of "pre-owned" Leviton dimmers that you could have for half of wholesale.  Contact me by email if interested.

I believe some Insteon dimmers still support the X10 protocol, and they include the neutral connection.  So that may be another option.

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

Brian H

Re: WS 12A controlling LED lighting
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 12:29:28 PM »
The sales pages for the Insteon 2477D Decorator and 2466D Toggle type Dimmer modules indicate they still support X10.
Like the Leviton's Jeff mentioned. They need a Neutral Power connection to work.
They come with no X10 addresses in them and you program the wanted address into them with an X10 controller. They have no House Code or Unit Code Dials to set. They also send an X10 power line signal when locally activated.