Author Topic: Sonof modules (Itead Studios)  (Read 620 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
Sonof modules (Itead Studios)
« on: April 12, 2016, 06:33:37 AM »
These small cheep Wi-Fi modules look promising. https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html
There is a low voltage version that can use 4- 24 volts which not only will trigger that voltage on/off but you can have it trigger 110 on/off  https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-sv.html

I picked up the standard(non low voltage model without RF) to play with adding Wi-Fi to my outdoor wood furnace.
So far it looks promising.

The fact that RF can be added to both versions opens up the possibility for this to work with X10.
In fact I even suggested X10 support be added in their forum.
http://support.iteadstudio.com/support/discussions/topics/11000002347
They have suggested that ideas that get lots of votes are more apt to get implemented however my suggestion has only one other users liking this idea :'(
If you like the X10 idea, log into their forum and vote for it!

I plan on ordering a few of the safe voltage (low voltage) model in order to experiment with some 12 volt things at my off grid place once I have the furnace mod working.
The only current draw back with these right now is they use the cloud :( (X10WTI made me hate cloudy days)
Itlead has maintained a SDK is coming by end of April.
With a SDK it will be able to have them work with X10 via software :)
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
Re: Sonof modules (Itead Studios)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 01:15:20 PM »
Just a bit of an Update on these.
I got tired of waiting for Sonoff to release a protocol or sdk and the cloud (well  maybe not the cloud but their app)
The smartphone app for these is a pain to setup and unless you use it regularly will forget you.
when it forgets you the process of setting up has to be redone.

I ended up flashing a save voltage version and using a third party firmware.
This allows me to make a direct call to the device without the cloud or iteads app.
the outdoor furnace plan at the off grid place was a bust the range of the Wi-Fi signal just wasn't reaching my router well enough to be reliable.

bkenobi

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 02:41:59 PM »
What kind of real world range were you seeing?  I've seen people claim a range of hundreds of yards/meters.  I think many of those claims were open ground though.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 03:53:09 PM »
Well distance to my outdoor furnace from router is 50-60 feet.
Should note even my Samsung smartphone had troubles from this location.
I suspect the metal furnace was absorbing the signal as I have gotten over 100 feet with my phone open air.
Also the standard sonof module worked fine from this distance prior to hook up.

Lately my router even has difficulty connecting to closer devices at the off grid place so I suspect the radio in it is on the blink.

I never tested these things to actually see their range as most things I connected these to were fairly close to my router.