Author Topic: XTB-IIR Questions  (Read 2928 times)

mldenison

• Active Newbie
XTB-IIR Questions
« on: March 17, 2014, 02:09:59 PM »
Jeff,

I'm finally getting around to building my XTB-IIR kit.

Will this unit couple the X10 signal to both 110 phases or will I have to keep my phase coupler connected in my circuit breaker panel?

Are there any jumpers to be soldered in beneath the power transformer when the unit is connected across each 110V phase, and neutral,  in the circuit breaker panel?  It wasn't clear to me in the instructions.

Thanks

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
Re: XTB-IIR Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:05:57 PM »
The XTB-IIR includes a built-in passive coupler, and it will also repeat valid X10 commands onto both phases.  There is no need for another phase coupler when the XTB-IIR is connected to both phases.

Transformers normally shipped with North American kits have a 120V primary, and no jumpers are needed.  The jumpers configure dual-primary transformers for 120V or European 240V operation.

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

mldenison

• Active Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 05:07:46 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.  Back to soldering...

x10Tim

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 09:27:44 AM »
Simple question that I could not find the answer anywhere.  The XTB-IIR has an RJ12 on the TW523 emulation port and from picture, the XTB-523 seems to have an RJ12 where the TW523 is an RJ11.  I looked through the available schematics and did not find what you are doing on all six pins.  Before I reverse engineer the XTB-IIR board, can you share this information?

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 06:34:42 AM »
Actually both the X10 TW523/PSC05 and the XTB-IIR share the same 6-pin connector.  Only the four center pins are used.  The interface and connections for those pins are defined in the X10 Technical Note.  The same cable can plug into either unit.

Jeff

Brian H

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 12:46:30 PM »
I did notice in XTB-IIR instructions. That the contacts on each end are not used. Only the center four.
http://jvde.us/xtb/XTB-IIR_instructions.pdf

x10Tim

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 06:54:50 PM »
My current setup is an X10 XPCP across the phases and I have my XTB-IIR in my computer room in a single phase configuration.  I also have my CM15A in the same room driving things until my new project is complete that I want to drive the emulation port with and you have been helping me get that going, almost done.  My computer room is about as far from the breaker panel as you can be, probably about a 60 foot run.  Recently when everyone came home for spring break, my perfect solution stopped working on devices that are on an equally long run but on a different circuit probably because of the 10 additional signal suckers that were plugged in.   They left, and everything started working again (One solution).  I believe I know the answer here but wanted to confirm.  If I replace my XPCP with my XTB-IIR and have it drive both phases, should I see improvement on issues related to signal suckers because of the reduced run length or is the signal from the XTB-IIR so strong that I may be looking at filters?  The problem with filters is that the signal suckers are constantly roaming from outlet to outlet and the number of low-cost switching supplies is growing exponentially.

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 07:10:56 AM »
Signals throughout your home will be much stronger if you move the XTB-IIR to the panel where it can drive both phases directly.  That should take care of random signal suckers.  A serious signal sucker on your computer circuit (such as a computer or UPS) may prevent signals from your controller from reaching the XTB-IIR to be boosted.  In that case you might need a filter on that equipment.  And if one of those devices that came home on spring break is powerful noise source, it may also have to be isolated with a filter. 

Jeff