Author Topic: Programming Homelink to control X10  (Read 4930 times)

Walt

Programming Homelink to control X10
« on: February 17, 2014, 07:56:31 AM »
Well, its been a few decades in the making, but I finally bought a new vehicle that has Homelink.    ;)

I was successful in programming the left and right Homelink buttons to operate my left and right garage door openers.

But now I want to also program the center Homelink button to operate an X10 unit.

I have the Homelink Vehicle Interface.

I use an extension cord to have the Home Vehicle Interface right in the vehicle with me.  I set the Home Vehicle Interface to unit code 1, slide the switch to "install", and press the center button in my vehicle.   Nothing.

OK, I see that unit codes 1, 2, and 3 might be reserved for the garage door status units.   So, I change the Homelink Vehicle Interface to unit code 4 and try again.   Nothing.

Each time, the Homelink in my vehicle appears to be in Learn or Receive mode.   That it wants to be programmed for a third garage door remote.   The yellow LED just slowly blinks.  Even after I hold it for 20 to 30 seconds.

I know that X10 instructions in general are notorious in omitting some critical step, assuming the user knows what to do.

How do I get the Homelink in my vehicle to be in, I assume, transmit mode, such that it transmits the signal that the Homelink Vehicle Interface wants to see and itself install/learn??

Anyone  with any personal experience they could share?

dave w

Re: Programming Homelink to control X10
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 04:37:56 PM »
I don't know what a "Homelink Vehicle Interface" is, and can not find information about it. But if it plugs in to the powerline I don't think it can program your car's Homelink. You need to transmit the desired X10 code over RF for the car's Homelink to learn it. I programmed the Homelink in my car with a X10 Palm Pad. No problems other than it took three times before the car learned it.
This after shave makes me look fat.

Walt

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 04:08:43 AM »
I don't know what a "Homelink Vehicle Interface" is, and can not find information about it. But if it plugs in to the powerline I don't think it can program your car's Homelink. You need to transmit the desired X10 code over RF for the car's Homelink to learn it. I programmed the Homelink in my car with a X10 Palm Pad. No problems other than it took three times before the car learned it.

The "Homelink Vehicle Interface" is kind of like X10 Transceiver (and I believe made by X10 for Homelink).     However, one if its differences is that is accepts a Homelink RF signal, and outputs an X10 PLC, instead of accepting an X10 RF signal, and outputting an X10 PLC.

The Homelink transmitter in my new vehicle is kind of like a Learning TV Remote.   It can "learn" an RF command (like that from a garage door remote), but it suppose to also be able to transmit its own Homelink RF command as a default.    It is just that mine seems to be stuck in "learn" mode.    I need it somehow get it out of "learn" mode, and into transmitting its own Homelink RF command.   That's what the "Homelink Vehicle Interface" is expecting to see, what the Homelink setup instructions assumes.

I guess I can have the Homelink transmitter "learn" a standard X10 RF command (like G1 "on").   The Homelink transmitter would then communicate with a standard X10 Transceiver (or ActiveHome CM15A).    That should work, but makes having their own Homelink Vehicle Interface useless.   :-\

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 06:15:15 AM »
Was the Homelink interface included with your new vehicle?
We're looking at a new car and one comes equipped with Homelink.
It comes in a package with other options that we can do without so I'm watching this unfold.
I'm wondering if the transceiver was something you were told you needed extra?
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)

Brian H

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 06:25:15 AM »
It has been awhile but that interface looks similar to the OEM by X10. Black and Decker FWMH Master Hub. It also had a learn switch. The remotes had to be learned as they had no House or Unit codes in them. The HUB had the House Code dial and the remote had the 1-16 set of buttons on it. It also used 418MHz and not the X10 310MHz.
Power line frequency was the same 120KHz signals. So an X10 or Freewire module could be controlled by either system.

Walt

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 07:08:11 AM »
Was the Homelink interface included with your new vehicle?
We're looking at a new car and one comes equipped with Homelink.
It comes in a package with other options that we can do without so I'm watching this unfold.
I'm wondering if the transceiver was something you were told you needed extra?

It was included with the 2014 Dodge, but I am not sure if it was standard.   It could have been buried into some package.

I also had it in my 10 year old car.    For that, the Homelink Vehicle Interface (aka Homelink transceiver), was required to have it interface with my existing X10 stuff.

BTW, today's vehicles can come with one of two remote control systems.   Both look pretty similar in the car (three buttons).   The difference is that Homelink brand has just one LED, and that other brand has three LED's.

dave w

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »
The "Homelink Vehicle Interface" is kind of like X10 Transceiver (and I believe made by X10 for Homelink).     However, one if its differences is that is accepts a Homelink RF signal, and outputs an X10 PLC, instead of accepting an X10 RF signal, and outputting an X10 PLC.
Thanks.
This after shave makes me look fat.

succession-resounding