Author Topic: DDNS service replacing lost airsight.net  (Read 10216 times)

Walt

DDNS service replacing lost airsight.net
« on: August 07, 2013, 05:47:15 PM »
With the loss of x10, we also lost the DNS service provided by x10 as airsight.net.   This is what allowed you to access your camera from anywhere, without knowing your actual (potentially dynamically changing) IP address.  For example, using "d1234.airsight.net:8001" instead of "123.45.67.980:8001".

It also seems that the manufacture of the X10 cameras, Foscam, doesn't offer this service for their own customers.  So, we can't piggy back on them.

There are a few free DDNS services out there.   One of them is no-ip.com.

Its pretty easy to set up a free account on no-ip.com.   Just be aware that for most of the steps, they offer you an alternative for which they will charge (extra).   So, stick with the "no fee" choices.

No-ip.com offers some low level domains you can use (and many more for which they charge).   I picked the free one of no-ip.biz.   If you're keeping track, this replaces the "airsight.net".

You also get to pick a high-level domain.   This is pretty open, and you can pick just about anything that is not already in use, and syntax-wise acceptable.  If you're keeping track, this replaces the "d1234".  I guess you could even continue to use your "d1234", if it isn't already in use.

Their setup automatically detects your current IP address for you.   No need to attempt to figure it out.   That's the "123.45.67.980".

Now, X10 set up the cameras to automatically keep the DDNS service at airsight.net updated.   It can also be set to update some other services, none free, and unfortunately not no-ip.com.   So, you need another way to keep the DDNS service updated.   One way is install the software Dynamic Update Client (DUC) on any PC that is on the same router as your camera.

That's about it.    If you have any questions, please post them here.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:02:08 PM by Walt »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
Re: DDNS service replacing lost airsight.net
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »
I don't believe Foscam is the manufacture of the Airsight cameras as they allow no-ip for there cameras.
EasyN cameras have several that are exactly the same the only difference is the name printed on them.
They also don't allow no-ip in their configuration.
Not that that matters with the resent developments ::)
All use the same web commands for control.
I'm told all these are made by one Chinese manufacture Wanscam.

Good helpful post!

Another thing you could do which I've done for my setup is have different IP camera manufactures cameras in your setup.
I use no-ip with my FosCam with a port something like 1200
For each of the other cameras the address is the no-ip one with the next port up number
I have 4 cameras so each has the no-ip address followed by the port number for that camera 1200-1203 ;)
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)

Walt

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 04:04:53 AM »
I don't believe Foscam is the manufacture of the Airsight cameras as they allow no-ip for there cameras.

Foscam only added no-ip with their latest firmware update.  This was related to dyndns.com being no longer free (X10 and Foscam support dyndns.com).   If X10 was still around, and cared, possibly X10 might have added no-ip support too.

EasyN cameras have several that are exactly the same the only difference is the name printed on them.

I'm told all these are made by one Chinese manufacture Wanscam

At least my Airsight camera is a match to a Foscam camera.  I went by that.   Possibly, X10 and Foscam use the same source (Wanscam)?

Let me add, that X10/Airsight cameras do support the free DDNS services from oray.com and 3322.org.   However, both of these are Chinese sites and therefore, you have to be able to read Chinese to set up an account.   :-\     If you can read Chinese, all that really buys you (a pun?) is that you would not need to separately run the  Dynamic Update Client software as you do with using no-ip.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 05:56:39 AM »
Some routers have a DDNS setting.
I guess users could also go that route too. ???
Although mine is set to www.dyndns.org and doesn't allow it to be changed to a different provider :-\

Walt

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 06:46:51 AM »
You also get to pick a high-level domain.   This is pretty open, and you can pick just about anything that is not already in use, and syntax-wise acceptable.  If you're keeping track, this replaces the "d1234".  I guess you could even continue to use your "d1234", if it isn't already in use.
I use no-ip with my FosCam with a port something like 1200
For each of the other cameras the address is the no-ip one with the next port up number
I have 4 cameras so each has the no-ip address followed by the port number for that camera 1200-1203 ;)

You are absolutely correct.   I threw something into my post at the last minute, without thinking thru what it meant.

When I suggested possibly using the high level domain that X10 assigned to your camera (the "d1234"), I didn't mean to set up a different high level domain for each camera.   As you said, one should set up just one, and use that same high level domain for each camera, id'ing each camera instead by a unique port number.

Walt

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:53:08 AM »
Some routers have a DDNS setting.
I guess users could also go that route too. ???

That is also a possibility, and eliminates the need to install/execute the Dynamic Update Client (DUC).

Let me add, that I have an Apple Extreme router.   There seems to be conflicting info on the 'net over its supporting DDNS.   What I discovered is that while it does technically support DDNS, it isn't "dynamic" (maybe Apple choose to support only a static DNS service... but why bother?).   Apparently, the router will set its current IP address to the specified service upon being configured, but doesn't re-update the IP address as it might change, automatically, from then on.   That's not much help.   ::)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 07:18:17 AM »
I get a lot of PMs and emails on this.
In my replies I point them to this thread
I would have thought some one else would have posted some additional questions.
Not owning an Airsight myself I guess this works for everyone.
I do have one question: Will an Airsight send a email like my Foscam does on power up reporting the IP?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 08:56:25 AM by Tuicemen »

succession-resounding