Author Topic: Welcome to the new JVDE X10 Forum  (Read 11929 times)

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
Welcome to the new JVDE X10 Forum
« on: August 01, 2013, 10:29:33 AM »
Since the X10 Forum went offline near the end of July, we X10 uses haven't had an effective means to communicate amongst ourselves.  The Yahoo board is not suitable for troubleshooting discussions, so I decided to create this one to share information with other X10 users.  I still hope that the vast storehouse of information contained on the X10 Forum will eventually be restored, but that looks less promising as each day passes.
X10 automation since the BSR days...

Walt

Re: Welcome to the new JVDE X10 Forum
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:44:29 PM »
I still hope that the vast storehouse of information contained on the X10 Forum will eventually be restored, but that looks less promising as each day passes.

Back a while ago, when X10 filed for bankruptcy, I seem to remember that someone in the X10 Community, made a personal backup copy of the info.

Unfortunately, with the X10 Community seemly gone, I have no idea how to find who that was, let alone how to even contact them.   :-\

PS:  Thanks for starting this here.

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »
Hi Walt,

Yes, I remember that discussion.

I've never set up a forum before, so I'm sure there will be issues that will have to be resolved.  However, at least this will provide a means for X10 users to communicate with each other again.

If you know how to contact some of the X10 regulars, please let them know about this replacement forum.  As I have time I'll be going through prior email to find some of them who communicated directly with me.

It would be great if someone has an archive of the X10 Forum, but I wouldn't have a clue how to port it over into this one.

Jeff

woodyl

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 06:16:48 PM »
Jeff,  thanks a bunch for setting up this forum!  I was shocked to find the old forum gone!

As far as the possibility of someone having an archive of the old forum, if the data exists, there will be some way to get it online.

Otherwise, if that data is truly lost, there are still a lot of people around with great expertise who can help withe issues.  I hope they find their way here.  One way to help with that would be to set up a Twitter account that could point people to this forum.  Othewise, as people begin to post, it will start to come up on searches.

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I hope they find their way here.  One way to help with that would be to set up a Twitter account that could point people to this forum.  Othewise, as people begin to post, it will start to come up on searches.

I don't use Twitter or any of the other social media sites.  But I appreciate your doing what you can to inform X10 users about this alternate X10 Forum.

I wish I had saved those posts I made on the forum to my hard drive.  There was a lot of good info there.

Jeff

Brian H

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:31:56 AM »
Well I was also shocked at the sudden shutdown.
I was on the forums a few times.
Then that night. I got a GO Daddy domain holding web site and later the new sales site from "X10Pro-USA"

I posted a link to here in the Cocoontech's forums and I know someone there had found the direct IP addresses for some of the stuff and was attempting to archive it. Though they seem to also be dead now.

Not sure if Tuicemen's forum has a link to here yet. I have not received my authorization email from him yet so I can't do it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:33:32 AM by Brian H »

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 08:14:25 AM »
I posted a link to here in the Cocoontech's forums and I know someone there had found the direct IP addresses for some of the stuff and was attempting to archive it. Though they seem to also be dead now.

I had direct links to some of the posts I had made on topics like the smart meter.  All of those links went dead when the forum went down.  Unfortunately, I didn't save that text on my hard drive.  I know there are some sites out there that grab info from various forums.  Maybe some of it can be retrieved from those sites.

Jeff

rsisinni

• Active Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 01:47:01 PM »
Hi Jeff,
I posted a new topic, under general I guess it should have been here.  I grabbed the old forums two days ago.   I don't think you would be able to port the old content into the new forum, but since the grab I did is static html pages.  All you need to do is host in on a webserver.  Honestly I don't know the complete size, or even if I got all.  I am tarballing  (like zip) it now.  I would like at least to put a copy somewhere else beside my own personal machine.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 05:44:17 PM »
I'm Not sure why my forum failed to auto authorize some new users but I've just authorized users I recognized.
I've tried to access the x10 forum files but have been unsuccessful. :'(
I figured since I had admin access I might be able to backup the info if I could access the site.
I was in the hospital as this went down not that not being there would have helped.
Even if we can save 1/2 the info that was there would be a great asset.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:08:45 AM by Tuicemen »
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)

woodyl

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 07:06:53 AM »
Hi Jeff,
I posted a new topic, under general I guess it should have been here.  I grabbed the old forums two days ago.   I don't think you would be able to port the old content into the new forum, but since the grab I did is static html pages.  All you need to do is host in on a webserver.  Honestly I don't know the complete size, or even if I got all.  I am tarballing  (like zip) it now.  I would like at least to put a copy somewhere else beside my own personal machine.

Can you host the file somewhere and post a link?  The more people who have the old forum archive, the better the chances that it will stay available.

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 07:34:23 AM »
I did download and unzip the file.  There are well over 100,000 html files, and the sheer number locks up my Windows Explorer (XP classic).  I'll try using a more powerful computer when I have some free time.

I've never used forum software before, and don't know how to merge those files into this forum so they can be accessed and searched.  What I plan to do is upload them into an archive subdirectory, with an index into each of the individual boards.  I'll just upload the automation boards for now until I know how my account handles the size and bandwidth issues.

Jeff

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
The new PC didn't choke on the 120K files, and they are uploading now.  The complete archive should be uploaded by Wednesday if there are no problems.

Update:  Well, that didn't work.  My session was disconnected after uploading 1GB.  So I have to find another way to do this.

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:25:28 AM by Jeff »

kentm

• Active Newbie
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 03:30:25 AM »
Jeff,
My thanks to you and others for doing what you can in resurrecting this forum. I can't imagine what a project this must be.
The old forum had supplied me with the information to keep my stuff working and I couldn't imagine what I would do without it.
Thanks to all who have participated
Kentm

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 05:57:03 AM »
Tuicemen was successful restoring the original forum as a read-only archive:

http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_reports.htm#XTBM

My problem turned out to be that the complete X10 Forum is too large for the level of service I have with my host, and just paring off some extraneous boards to reduce the size is not feasible.

Jeff

pomonabill22

• Active Newbie
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 01:39:23 PM »
I just wanted to thank Jeff for starting this forum.
I haven't visited X10 forum for a while, but when I did, I was shocked to find it gone!

So nice of you to start this one! and try and retrieve the old posts!
It was a great resource for all and will be missed, but I am sure this forum will grow very fast after all the bugs get worked out (unlike the X10 bugs!).

Thank You Jeff!