Author Topic: Hi-Power dimmable LED's working  (Read 2713 times)

joesam

Hi-Power dimmable LED's working
« on: January 28, 2014, 08:37:06 AM »
My wife came home with 40 watt (equivalent) dimmable LED bulbs and an 85 watt (equivalent) dimmable LED spotlight  from Costco last week - and I finally got around to installing them last night.  Both had a 3000K warmth rating.  I'm surprised at how heavy the spotlight was!  In Canada, the end of the incandescent era is here (100 and 75 watt incandescent bulbs were banned just this month but stores will be allowed to sell off the excess).

I didn't make note of the mfr's (they were different) but the bulbs worked flawlessly with my old LM465's (incl dimming).  The spot is working fine also on an old WS467, but since it is in a gang of three (two of which are still incandescent) that's a bit less impressive.

I monitored for 120khz/noise on my old Testerlinc - and it hasn't changed from prior to installing these - it still shows a stream of either 000 - 001 - 002 max.

bkenobi

Re: Hi-Power dimmable LED's working
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:20:36 AM »
Keep an eye out for the energy efficient halogen bulbs.  They were sparse around a year ago but I've seen tons of them in the last few visits to Home Depot.  This is the GE link, but all manufactures are making them from the looks of it.

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWeb/na/solutions/technologies/halogen/energy-saving-halogen.jsp

The advantage to these is that in the US they meet the new efficiency requirements, don't cost a fortune, and don't cause ANY changes to your automation setup!

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:59:55 AM »
Our ceiling CFLs were a decade old and getting pretty dim.  We swapped them all to the Feit LED lights sold by Costco last summer.  They turn on instantly, are brighter than the CFLs ever were, and emit a warm color light with a good WAF.

Oh, and they are totally compatible with our X10 system.

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

joesam

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:51:54 PM »
Ahaaa...thanks Jeff - the bulb mfr was Feit - and the floodlight appeared to have a ceramic coating on the back - might have been TCP or equivalent.   Yes - these puppies are bright - at least as good as their equivalency ratings.  From what I've seen so far, these 120v LED's are going to be very X10 compatible.

Brian H

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 08:05:55 AM »
The WS467s may not be too happy.
They steal power through the loads and I have had varied results with dimmable LED bulbs I have tested with them.
If they are not dimmable. I would not use them with any X10 or other brand module that can be dimmed.

joesam

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 09:24:56 AM »
So far, only one of a gang of three is LED - I do have a Leviton 20A relay switch that is currently unused.  It'll be months (years?) before all three in  the fixture evolve to LED.  Guess I'll see then.