Author Topic: LED lite-strips - seeking ideas  (Read 9209 times)

joesam

Re: LED lite-strips - seeking ideas
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »
So I promised to "come clean" as to what happens if you push the little camera power supplies to their limits driving LED light strips.  Well....its quirky, but not what you think.  Turns out if these little 12v camera power supplies are operated at their upper limits (AKA past their upper limits), they become hyper-sensitive to their house code! 

What happened is...they were on code "K" which is the kitchen.  BUT because the pantry door is also on a "K" code and its opened and closed frequently, the little X10 warts would frequently decide that random powerline activity on their "home" house code meant...TURN OFF.  And so they would.  Two or more openings of the pantry and they'd shut off unpredictably but invariably at some random point.  Didn't matter whether the pantry door light was commanded ON or OFF either...just any activity on their housecode would convince them it was time to turn OFF!

To prove my theory I put them on a second house code that also has motion sensors that are fairly active - and sure enough, they'd shut off randomly.

The solution was simple - I put them on one of my house codes that has no motion sensors; and tadaaaa.....they are reliable and fully functional.  Curious, huh?

Brian H

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »
The camera supplies work with the same House Code and  Unit Code Groups. Group 1-4,5-8,9-12 or 13-16.
Turn On any one of the Unit Codes and the other three go Off automatically with no Off command to their exact address.
If the Motion Sensor was in the same group of four. It was turning Off the supplies automatically.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:37:35 AM by Brian H »

joesam

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »
Well I'll be jiggered.  Who knew?  Yes indeed the motion sensors were within 4 unit #'s of the assigned code.  Since I've never owned an X10 camera, I had no idea they were different in that way.  I have always been careful of the motion sensors, knowing that their "daylight" function consumes a second code (and that is a pain-in-the-planning sometimes; but not a big enough pain to disable it surgically); but now I'm wiser on an even greater scale!  Guess I can return them to the top end of the "K" series without an issue.

Thanks, Brian!

joesam

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 09:48:25 AM »
I'm overdue to update my experience with the camera modules powering my under-counter LED light strips.  They have continued to work flawlessly for the better part of a year now - so it turned out to be a safe (if a bit unique) application.

Brian H

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 02:57:29 PM »
Thank you for the update.

succession-resounding