Author Topic: I have a backup X10 community forums  (Read 7113 times)

rsisinni

• Active Newbie
I have a backup X10 community forums
« on: August 02, 2013, 01:26:46 PM »
When I saw the fourm disappear I found the old IP address, put the ip adress in my host tables and backed up the entire fourm (I hope) using wget.   I also grabbed all of the manuals from the FTP site. 

Jeff, or anybody else want to host this? 

P.S

I didn't manage to get the knowledge base. It still may be possible, Its just that I am at work now and I will be away until tuesday.  If someone would like to try I posted the server info on cocoontech.

If somebody want to try getting he kb here is the site info.

63.211.210.95 x10community.com forums.x10.com
63.211.210.21 ftp.x10.com software.x10.com
63.211.210.95 kbase.x10.com

Jeff

• Administrator
    • Owner, JV Digital Engineering
Re: I have a backup X10 community forums
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
When I saw the fourm disappear I found the old IP address, put the ip adress in my host tables and backed up the entire fourm (I hope) using wget.   I also grabbed all of the manuals from the FTP site. 

Jeff, or anybody else want to host this? 

Wow, that is wonderful news!

Yes, if the X10 Forum doesn't come back up, I would sure like to host at least some of it.

Jeff
X10 automation since the BSR days...

rsisinni

• Active Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »
I'm glad you will host it if it dosn't come back.   

I checked the size of the files, its 5.7GB uncompressed.  I would really like to make sure someone else has a copy besides myself, so it doesn't get lost.  What would be the best way to get the files to you?  Can I upload it somewhere, mail a USB stick?

rsisinni

• Active Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »
I just check the site they are still live.  The reason you can't get to them is that the dns records point to the x10pro site.  Also if you just pop the ip address in your browser the website will not work, as the webserver will use the name of host in the http request to figure out which site you are using (mutliple web sites are on the same server).  To access the old sites you need to put the ip addresses and name in your computers hosts file.

If you are comfortable with messing with system files on your computer you can add the names and ip address to your computers hosts file.  Don't forget to remove it later when you are done with checking the sites.

the host file on linux is in /etc/hosts

on windows (I'm going by memory)  is located at
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

To add the ip address
Enter it in as above post,
ip address followed by a tab and then the names separated by spaces.

The ftp site works without this trick you can just use the ip address and it works.

I remoted into my home computer and started a grab of the knowledge base as well.

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 03:03:12 PM »
I checked the size of the files, its 5.7GB uncompressed.  I would really like to make sure someone else has a copy besides myself, so it doesn't get lost.  What would be the best way to get the files to you?  Can I upload it somewhere, mail a USB stick?

That is probably well beyond the limit that my host allows to be uploaded, so the memory stick is the best way.  I'll copy it here and send it back to you.

You can mail it to:

JV Digital Engineering
396 North Crestline Circle
St. George, UT 84790

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 04:07:46 PM »
very good news.
it would be a shame to lose all that info. ;)
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)

Brian H

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 03:04:28 AM »
I have about 1.56GB of files in my X10 folder and 33MB in my X10Pro folder.
Most are users manuals and a few of the ancient X10Pro how to files. The connecting a PL513 to an Ademco panel.
Some files are my compilations of my tests.
Some are the FCC Database files X10 used for certification.
I will try and look at them and see what personal files would have to be removed.

hawk1

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 03:57:16 AM »
Do you have to have a username and password to download the kb?   I tried with an ftp downloader but the server rejected.   :(
"I don't know what I'm doing but, I'm having fun doing it!"
Windows Xp Home
Ihouse, BVC, PCC, Blue Iris
Cm15A Transceiver
V572 Receiver
XTB Amplifier
XTB-IIR Coupler, Amplifier, Repeater

rsisinni

• Active Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 05:36:46 AM »
Hawk,
It is a standard anonymous ftp server,
your username  needs to be: anonymous
password can be anything (in the past it was supposed to be your email, but now a-days the web-browsers make it up, so it dosn't really matter).

For backing up the knowledge base I used wget, it can do both http and ftp.

Jeff, by the way the forum files compressed to apx 300Megs, I can probably post that somewhere and send you the link, as I don't really have commercial grade server, just a light duty vps with a very small traffic allotment for some hobby, and I should say dead, websites.

I also noticed that new X10 has a link about what happened to X10, they stopped operating June 26, but the new company will continue to manufacture, who knows if they will do any new products.

If you still want the USB, I can send it but I am at my cottage this long weekend  (in Canada) I won't be able to send it until Wednesday and I would suspect it will take up to two weeks for the international mail.

Jeff

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 03:25:40 PM »
I was able to download your compressed file, and the individual files are being extracted now.  I will have to look into how to upload them to my website.  Previously I've used their file manager tool to upload individual files.  It looks like this is going to produce well over 100,000 files, so obviously, that is not the way to do it.

Thanks for grabbing them while the were still available.

Jeff

noam

• Active Newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 07:12:41 AM »
very good news.
it would be a shame to lose all that info. ;)

I was able to get to it just now using the IP 63.211.210.95 for forums.x10.com in my hosts file.
Tuicemen - with your admin rights, is there a way for you to grab a backup of the entire database, and import it into your own (or someone else's) SMF instance?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Software Developer
    • Tuicemens Software
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:52:03 AM »
I'm looking into it.
As well I've forwarded a copy to a old x10 webmaster that expressed interest.
They had several backdoors setup for crashes and such.  They should be able to access even if no one else can. ;)
X10 turned me into a Software programmer.
A warning label should have been added ;)

succession-resounding